Database Mirroring - Partner requirements RRS feed

Answers

• Yes you can have a developer edition as a partner ! that would not be a problem but you need to note that you cannot create database snapshots in an developer edition but only in enterprise edition

Regards
    Deepak
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:52 PM
  • I was looking for a solution where I do not have to spend much money to have mirroring.  I found my answer.  I can install the same SQL Standard that I have and I do not need to buy another license if I do not run any queries against this server. 

Thank you for your help.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:10 PM

All replies

• Yes you can have a developer edition as a partner ! that would not be a problem but you need to note that you cannot create database snapshots in an developer edition but only in enterprise edition

Regards
    Deepak
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:52 PM
  • Define partner.  Are you speaking of the mirror or the witness? 

If you're speaking of the mirror you can certainly use developer as a mirror as it has the same functionality as enterprise; however, from a licensing stand point I'm not sure that it's kosher.  My guess is that Microsoft will want their licensing revenue for both servers in a production database mirroring scenario.

If you're speaking of a witness then you can use any edition including SQL Server Express as a witness.
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:07 PM
  • I was looking for a solution where I do not have to spend much money to have mirroring.  I found my answer.  I can install the same SQL Standard that I have and I do not need to buy another license if I do not run any queries against this server. 

Thank you for your help.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:10 PM
  • Yes you can have Standard edition because you cannot use developer edition in a production enviroment I believe ! but you need to keep in mind that you cannot use your mirror db for reporting purposes as it will be in restoring state ! if you needed it for reporting you need to acquire enterprise edition

Regards
    Deepak
    Friday, October 26, 2007 3:35 AM