none
Using Word for XML Authoring RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am thinking about developing a legal document authoring system based on Word. I am not familar with the details of Word, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me is Microsoft allows modifying Word to build new word processors. For example, suppose I typed "In the 3rd US Court" in word. Then if I press a button, say XLegal, it converts this sentence into a specific XML doument as I will define. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:05 AM

Answers

• Hi CantonSoul

If I'm following what you're asking, you can use XML programming tools to take content in a Word document and generate XML from it - it all has to be done with your code. You'd need to use VBA or create a COM Add-in in order to provide the button. 

And you probably wouldn't want to save the result in a Word document if it should be worked with as pure XML at a later point. It could be saved in the docx file structure as a custom XML Part file.

But the answer to your subject line would be: Word doesn't make a very good XML (or HTML) authoring tool for the end-user.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Liliane Teng Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:31 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:39 AM