Unable to start VM - The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request RRS feed

• Question

• My cloud services and VMs have been running fine since forever. BUT... this morning they are down. The cloud service shows "Not all role instances ready." So I stop the Cloud service. I restart the cloud service. It starts and then tries to restart the VM and then I get this message: "The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request."

This is critical. Please help. I can't create. any new VMs or cloud services. Can't start VMs!

• Edited by Fred Kat Monday, January 5, 2015 4:30 PM words
    Monday, January 5, 2015 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can't create VM's or cloud services which means the issue might be with the subscription. Can you please recheck your subscription?

If possible, can you enable the remote access of cloud service VM's and login to the VM and check the event logs.

Thanks Subhendu DE - DotNet Artisan If a post answers your question, please click Mark As Answer on that post. If you find a post helpful, please click Vote as Helpful

Monday, January 5, 2015 4:30 PM
  • How and where do I check the subscription? It says I have $85 left for this month.
    Monday, January 5, 2015 4:32 PM
  • If I try to create a new VM in a new Cloud Service for an existing network, I get this error:

"Allocation failed; unable to satisfy constraints in request. The requested new service deployment is bound to an Affinity Group, or it targets a Virtual Network, or there is an existing deployment under this hosted service. Any of these conditions constrains the new deployment to specific Azure resources. Please retry later or try reducing the VM size or number of role instances. Alternatively, if possible, remove the aforementioned constraints or try deploying to a different region. The long running operation tracking ID was: 2a310c63033b500a8f3ec8cce7679f4f."

Troubleshooting 101: my stuff worked fine yesterday. Nothing changed with the confiog of anything, now it does not work...

Monday, January 5, 2015 4:37 PM
  • So, like I said, I have $85 left this month. And I get the very long error message I posted below. Any other ideas?
    Monday, January 5, 2015 4:58 PM
  • Hi,

It seems a deployment is  in progress which was queued by you. If nothing was changed, I am assuming that it doesn't relate with VNET. Did you create a VNET or modify it's configuration?

Please wait and try later.

Thanks Subhendu DE - DotNet Artisan If a post answers your question, please click Mark As Answer on that post. If you find a post helpful, please click Vote as Helpful

Monday, January 5, 2015 4:59 PM
  • I tried this as a test. Only to test to see if I could create a new VM and use the VHD from the other Service. This went nowhere. I am back to square one. Still cannot start the VM and I get the very helpful, very descriptive "The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request."

The VNET was created over a year ago. The VM was created over a year ago. Absolutely nothing has changed about anything in this subscription for over 10 months.

• Edited by Fred Kat Monday, January 5, 2015 5:06 PM added stuff
    Monday, January 5, 2015 5:04 PM
  • "Please wait and try later"

Really? My VM stops for no reason and I should "Please wait and try later". This is a solution? How much later? 10 minutes? 4 Hours? After my clients have left me?

Monday, January 5, 2015 5:13 PM
  • When I try to create a new VM for the existing cloud service, I get this error:

"The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request. The long running operation tracking ID was: a6f38819f0f85328a74a9ece82a31542"

Monday, January 5, 2015 5:24 PM
  • So now it shows the Cloud service running but not all role instances are ready. Trying to restart VM produces same "Try again later" error.
    Monday, January 5, 2015 5:40 PM
  • Is there any workaround? My server is dead! What can I do? Any advice other than generalities, and "try again later"? I can't create cloud services. I can't create VMs. What do I do, abandon this subscription?

Anybody?

Monday, January 5, 2015 5:53 PM
  • "If possible, can you enable the remote access of cloud service VM's and login to the VM and check the event logs."

How do I do this if the VM won't even start?

Monday, January 5, 2015 5:56 PM
  • I have been able to create a new vm in a new cloud service if I don't use my vnet. This is not really acceptable since I need VMs to be part of my VPN and AD. What can I do here?
    Monday, January 5, 2015 6:27 PM
  • After "try[ing] again later" for several hours, the machine restarted. It was in the "starting" state for a good 10 minutes or so. It has a new VIP and I have modified the IPs in DNS for all my sites and apps. Things are working, now, but this absolutely can't happen. I'll be putting some things in place to fall back on shout it ever happen again, but... please find out what happened. This could easily bring a small business like mine down.
    Monday, January 5, 2015 7:45 PM
  • Hi Fred,

Good to hear that the issue was sloved.

Since you mentioned that the VIP is changed, maybe it is due to it had been moved to another host. Did you resize it? To find the root reason for this issue, please check the event viewer on the VM to see if any related information exsited.

Best regards,

Susie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 12, 2015 8:51 AM
  • Nope. The IP changed because I stopped and restarted the cloud service. I then tried to start the VM, but kept getting the ever-so-descriptive-and-helpful "please try again" message. So, I tried again. And again. And again. For several hours. It finally started. When I examined the Windows system log, the first event after startup was "the previous shutdown was unexpected." There were no warnings or critical events prior to the unexpected shutdown which occurred at 0528 UTC-5. The VM would not restart until 1410 UTC-5.

The issue was not really "solved", nor was it explained. But "previous shutdown was unexpected" is what you get when the power is shut off on a physical server. Go back and read this entire thread.

Monday, January 12, 2015 3:44 PM
  • Hi Fred,

I apologize for my misunderstood.

It seems that there is no related event recorded in Azure status during the time you encountered this issue. Would you please share the entire error message you have found in Windows system log? The unexpected shut down may be due to the Windows Azure platform deploying an update that required a reboot of the physical machine to provide a reliable, efficient and secure platform for hosting your applications.

Besides, is that VM in an availability set? If not, this type pre-maintenance notification is provided to the Account administrators who have VMs which are not running in an availability set.

Furthermore, it is recommended to add VMs into availability sets if you don’t want the VMs shutdown at the same time.

Best regards,

Susie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:00 AM
  • If I create another VM as part of an availability set, I will be charged for an additional VM per month, I assume?

Also, it used to be that I would get an email from Azure when there was going to be maintenance. Is that no longer being done?

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 10:23 PM
  • Hi Fred,

If you created another VM in an availability set, it will ensure that the VM cannot be shut down at the same time. You can use only one VM(running) and use the another VM as redundancy(stopped(deallocated)).

In addition, I am sure that the notification for maintenance notification is still provided to the Account administrators who have VMs which are not running in an availability set. Since you didn't recieve any email for that, I assume it may caused by a unplanned maintenance. In general, when the hardware or physical infrastructure underlying your virtual machine has faulted in some way, the Azure platform will automatically migrate your virtual machine from the unhealthy physical machine hosting your virtual machine to a healthy physical machine. Such events are rare, but may also cause your virtual machine to reboot.

More information:

Manage the availability of virtual machines

Best regards,

Susie

• Edited by Susie Long Monday, January 19, 2015 3:37 AM
    Monday, January 19, 2015 3:36 AM
  • I have not made any changes, yet for past 3 days cloud services are unable to updatable keep getting : The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request.

The only way to update is delete and redeploy.. 

My subscription is fine.

Please fix this. Seems like Cloud Services are a second class citizen on Azure now..

Sunday, January 25, 2015 11:14 PM