none
Appdata folder also present in local_<username> folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

just started implementing FSLogix, I did notice a thing which I can't explain. When a user logs on the container is mounted and the local_<username> folder is created. However, I was under the impression that only temp and INetCache would be present in this folder, but I'm also seeing an appdata folder being created. This folder contains a Roaming and Local folder. Credential files are stored within these folders (local/Microsoft/Credentials). Also the folder '/appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/Protect' contains files which look like credential files even with filedates in the past. Where are these files being copied/created from since they don't have todays date? Why are these files here and what they mean? Shouldn't they be inside the container?

Frank.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 10:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

just started implementing FSLogix, I did notice a thing which I can't explain. When a user logs on the container is mounted and the local_<username> folder is created. However, I was under the impression that only temp and INetCache would be present in this folder, but I'm also seeing an appdata folder being created. This folder contains a Roaming and Local folder. Credential files are stored within these folders (local/Microsoft/Credentials). Also the folder '/appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/Protect' contains files which look like credential files even with filedates in the past. Where are these files being copied/created from since they don't have todays date? Why are these files here and what they mean? Shouldn't they be inside the container?

Frank.

This is expected behavior.  The local_ folder does contain some temp info, but also some items internal to the workings of FSLogix. There are some items that are best accessed locally for stability reasons.  Credentials is an example of this.  If the credentials are not accessed locally you may run into scenarios where data needs to be flushed or read to local Windows caches to or from your network VHD.  If your network access token has expired and needs to be refreshed your credentials would need to be accessed by the system in order to refresh the token.  If the only place those credentials can be read from is the network VHD you are now in a locked up situation.  So FSLogix will copy some data from the VHD at logon to the local_ folder and do some other redirections to that data for reasons like that.  As mentioned above there are also TEMP and INET folders that will go there because we do not need to roam them.  So that folder does have multiple uses by the system.
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Mann1 Saturday, December 21, 2019 12:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by FrancWW Saturday, December 21, 2019 12:37 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2019 9:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Frank,

There are several folders that commonly go into the local_username portion of the profile.  The INET Cache will go to this folder by default.  If you have a need you can change this behavior using the SetTempToLocal setting documented here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/profile-container-configuration-reference

Thursday, December 19, 2019 10:51 PM
  • Hi,

Frank.

This is expected behavior.  The local_ folder does contain some temp info, but also some items internal to the workings of FSLogix. There are some items that are best accessed locally for stability reasons.  Credentials is an example of this.  If the credentials are not accessed locally you may run into scenarios where data needs to be flushed or read to local Windows caches to or from your network VHD.  If your network access token has expired and needs to be refreshed your credentials would need to be accessed by the system in order to refresh the token.  If the only place those credentials can be read from is the network VHD you are now in a locked up situation.  So FSLogix will copy some data from the VHD at logon to the local_ folder and do some other redirections to that data for reasons like that.  As mentioned above there are also TEMP and INET folders that will go there because we do not need to roam them.  So that folder does have multiple uses by the system.
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Mann1 Saturday, December 21, 2019 12:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by FrancWW Saturday, December 21, 2019 12:37 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2019 9:25 PM
  • ok, thanks for the detailed explanation.
    Friday, December 20, 2019 9:28 PM