none
Registering an external application to use OAuth to access Office 365 Exchange Online RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working with an existing SaaS application that is not part of Azure. One of the functions of this application will be the ability to access Exchange Online and extract messages on behalf of users. I've used the information documented for the Microsoft identity platform (see the documentation and samples for "Microsoft Identity Platform (v2.0) overview --docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/develop/v2-overview) to create an App registration in my Azure Portal that represents my SaaS application, and configure that new Azure app registration properly to allow me to generate the necessary refresh and access tokens to make the necessary API requests to the Exchange Online. 

The goal is now to publish this application registration to the Azure marketplace to allow customers to easily add it to their Azure and Exchange Online instance. I want to avoid forcing the customer to manually create the app registration in their Azure instance.

I've been through the tutorials that show how to create a ARM template that can be added to the marketplace, but I can't figure out how to create a template that will handle my simple application registration. It doesn't do much beyond define the URIs involved in the OAuth credential flow as well as the API permission grants necessary to access the needed Microsoft APIs. There isn't any application code that runs in a resource managed through Azure.

Is there a sample template that does something similar? Is there another way to approach this problem?

Thursday, July 25, 2019 10:53 PM

Answers