How to convert from string to object of any type RRS feed

• Question

• I need to convert from string that contains data to object of some type that is passed.
    I write some kind of serializer of object to/from collection of strings.
    Does someone know class that can get string and destination type and return object of specified type as a result.
    I think this functionality must exists but I do not know where because this kind of functionality should be used in XmlSerializer and PropertyGrid.
    Unforunatelly I have no access to sources of these classes  and cannot see how it is implemented.
    I would not like to write my own concertion class.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:49 AM

All replies

• To see how XmlSerializer or PropertyGrid works, you should get a copy of Lutz Roeder's Reflector for .Net.

http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/

Thursday, August 23, 2007 7:08 AM
  • There is no code there
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:19 AM
  • Can you give more of an example of what you are looking for?  From what I gather you want to take a string, concatonate it with another type, and then return a different type.  For the most part I would use the Convert function.  However if I am mistaken a bit more description would help in figuring out this issue.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:57 PM
  • I need something like

object ConvertFromString(string sourceString, Type destinationType)

Convert require either IConvertable interface or converting to static type (i.e. ToInt, ToDouble and so on). I need dynamic conversion from string.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:06 PM
  • If you already know what the different varaitey of types you are going to convert to you can create a class or function that is just a large switch statement to all the possible types you want to convert to.  I know this isn't probably what you are looking for but it is all I can think of right now.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:10 PM
  • How about using Activator.CreateInstance ?

Code Snippet

namespace Activation
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                Type t = Type.GetType("Activation.Person");
                Person person = (Person)Activator.CreateInstance(t);

Console.Write("{0}Press any key to continue...", Environment.NewLine);
                Console.ReadKey();
            }
        }

class Person
        {
        }
    }

Anyway, since you're talking about serialization i'm thinking that you want something like:

Code Snippet
    public class SimpleSerializer<T>
    {

public String Serialize(T o)
      {
        using (MemoryStream m = new MemoryStream())
        {
          XmlSerializer s = new XmlSerializer(o.GetType());
          s.Serialize(m, o);
          return Encoding.UTF8.GetString(m.ToArray());
        }
      }

public T Deserialize(String xml)
      {

using (MemoryStream m = new MemoryStream(Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(xml)))
        {
          XmlSerializer s = new XmlSerializer(typeof(T));
          return (T)s.Deserialize(m);
        }
      }
    }

Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:13 PM
  • >If you already know what the different varaitey of types you are going to convert to you can create a class or function that is just a large switch statement to all the possible types you want to convert to.  I know this isn't probably what you are looking for but it is all I can think of right now.

I've already done this. But I wonder if any .NET build-in mechanism to do this.
    Friday, August 24, 2007 5:33 AM
  • Men, you save my life :) thank's

"Que a Paz de Deus se Faça Entre nós" wilsonci@hotmail.com

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:43 PM