none
Convert retail server to MSDN licenses? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All, I think I have the right forum this time.

I have a bunch of test servesr that were installed with retail/volume licensing - now they need to be part of MSDN licensing.  How do I convert them?  Just put in the new key, re-run the DVD, format and start over?

Thanks! 

Thursday, June 4, 2015 8:03 PM

All replies

• Good question jbrady.  If you're primarily concerned about compliance with licensing terms, this is the right forum.  If you're trying to use one product key and then use another, that is actually a question for the forum dedicated to the products you're using. 

perhaps understanding a bit more about your situation will help me help you?  Why do they need to switch licensing methods?

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support

Did Microsoft call you out of the blue about your computer? No, they didn't.

Friday, June 5, 2015 4:43 PM
  • Hi Mike,

It's a compliance and license thing.  Bunch of Windows Servers (2008 r2 and 2012 r2) that are lab/test were set up with retail/volume keys and it is eating up licensing needed for production servers.

The company is buying MSDN subscriptions for all the necessary people, but I'll need to configure all those test/dev/lab servers to use MSDN licensing.  How do I make that happen?

Thanks!

Friday, June 5, 2015 6:48 PM
  • Actually JBrady, that sounds to me like you guys are in complete understanding of the situation, but need help with physically changing of the product keys on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

Mostly that sounds more like a Windows Server question than an MSDN Question, however there are some MSDN specific questions to understand.

An MSDN license is a per-user license not a per-Device license.  That means your licensed MSDN users can use any MSDN software that is installed anywhere, provided they're within the use terms of dev/test/demo/support purposes only.  Your users may get full MSDN Subscriptions provisioned for them, which will give them direct access to downloads and keys, but shared Dev hardware running windows Server 2008 R2 doesn't need to trade out licenses depending on which user is involved.   Does this make sense? 

Please also post your question about changing product keys for Windows Server over here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winservergen , and please also search there for "Changing Windows Product Key" to see how others have tackled this problem.

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support

Did Microsoft call you out of the blue about your computer? No, they didn't.

Friday, June 12, 2015 5:23 PM