[UWP]Upgrade appx files on Windows 10 phones failed with error: 0x80073CF9 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 - Windows 10 phone

OS build: 10.0.10586.164 ( upgraded from Windows Insider from 8.1)

Well, the phone has a previous version of the appx file ( downloaded from the store)  installed on it when it was on 8.1.

Now, I upgraded the phone to Windows 10 and have the application intact ( Of course this is what I wanted)

I want to upgrade this app to the latest version which I have locally with me.

I use the WinAppDeployCmd to update the appx file.

Command used: 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x86>

WinAppDeployCmd update -file

C:\Users\...\ARM\Release\FioriClient.Windows10\AppPackages\FioriClient.Windows10_1.6.1.0_ARM_Test\FioriClient.Windows10_1.6.1.0_ARM.appx

-ip 127.0.0.1

-dependency C:\Users\...\ARM\Release\FioriClient.Windows10\AppPackages\FioriClient.Windows10_1.6.1.0_ARM_Test\Dependencies\ARM\Microsoft.NET.CoreRuntime.1.0.appx 

C:\Users\...\ARM\Release\FioriClient.Windows10\AppPackages\FioriClient.Windows10_1.6.1.0_ARM_Test\Dependencies\ARM\Microsoft.VCLibs.ARM.12.00.Universal.appx

C:\Users\...\ARM\Release\FioriClient.Windows10\AppPackages\FioriClient.Windows10_1.6.1.0_ARM_Test\Dependencies\ARM\Microsoft.VCLibs.ARM.14.00.appx

I now get the error: 

Updating app...
    Remote action failed. 0x80073CF9
    Deployment Update operation with target volume C: on Package ***.S**
    t_1.6.1.0_arm__j9d5akq8073h6 from:  (FioriClient.Windows10_1.6.1.0_ARM.appx)  fa
    iled with error 0x80073CF9. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 fo
    r help diagnosing app deployment issues.
    0x80073cf9

Cleaning up dependencies.
    Cleaning up app package.

Cleaning up remote target components.
    Disconnecting.
    Done.

I am able to deploy this appx file on to another device ( as a fresh installation) . However, upgrade of the app fails!

Thanks,

Sharvari

Monday, March 14, 2016 11:00 AM

Answers

• Hello Sharvari Prasad,

Please see: Install Universal Windows Apps with the WinAppDeployCmd tool

The documentation suggests that update command is used to Update a Windows 10 app that is already installed on the target device. but there is no specific mention of the updating windows 8.1 package. I suspect that it is because the previous version is 8.1 and new is 10 that is why you get the error. Did you try testing updating win 10 package with newer version? So far i suspect that it is because of trying to update win8.1 package with win10. 

With Regards,

Krunal Parekh 

Thanks MSDN Community Support Please remember to Mark as Answer the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Proposed as answer by Krunal Parekh Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Krunal Parekh Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:51 AM
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hello Sharvari Prasad,

Is the appx package that you are sideloading is UWP app or windows 8.1 app? 

>>I am able to deploy this appx file on to another device ( as a fresh installation) . However, upgrade of the app fails!

You mentioned that it works fine with fresh installation does the update work fine with sideloading using Visual studio? 

"When you install an app with WinAppDeployCmd.exe, this uses the .appx file to sideload your app onto a Windows 10 Mobile device. This command does not install the certificate required for your app. To run the app, the Windows 10 Mobile device must be in developer mode or already have the certificate installed."

Any more information is appriciated. 

With Regards,

Krunal Parekh 

Thanks MSDN Community Support Please remember to Mark as Answer the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:17 AM
  • Hello Krunal,

First of all thank you very much for the response!

1. Based on your suggestion, I installed the required certificate. What I noticed was that the older version had installed a certificate compliant to x64 .

However, I am installing an ARM based appx now! Hence, installed the required certificate manually .

2. And yes, the device is already in developer mode and I have tried using an alternate method as well

-> Enable developer mode

-> Enable device discovery

-> Enable device portal and remote diagnostics + Authentication

-> And open the URL in system with the "Coonect Using" link -> https://x.x.x.x/AppManager.htm

-> Here under apps, I choose the appx files and select all the dependencies and say a deploy

Eventually I get the same error: 

3. How do I sideload using VS? I do not have the project with me to deploy directly ( If that is what you mean)

I would want to try a customer scenario where he an appx file already installed and just prefers to upgrade it.

4. It is a windows 10 app. Previous one was build for Windows 8.1 . 

Thanks!

Sharvari

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:54 AM
  • Hello Sharvari Prasad,

Please see: Install Universal Windows Apps with the WinAppDeployCmd tool

The documentation suggests that update command is used to Update a Windows 10 app that is already installed on the target device. but there is no specific mention of the updating windows 8.1 package. I suspect that it is because the previous version is 8.1 and new is 10 that is why you get the error. Did you try testing updating win 10 package with newer version? So far i suspect that it is because of trying to update win8.1 package with win10. 

With Regards,

Krunal Parekh 

• Proposed as answer by Krunal Parekh Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Krunal Parekh Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:51 AM
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 9:28 AM