none
Should I use .NET 4.0 for XP users? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I need to distribute my WPF desktop app, which is using .NET3.5 sp1,  to the users who are using the following OSes:
    - XP SP2
    - Vista
    - Win 7

I heard that .NET 4.0 is much smaller than 3.5SP1, so I decide to distribute my app like this :
    - For XP SP2 : MyApp.exe + .NET 4.0
    - For Vista : MyApp.exe + .NET 4.0
    - For Win 7 : MyApp.exe (because Win 7 already has 3.5SP1)

Does the idea has problem? Any comment is welcome!

Best regards,
    Zach

Monday, November 2, 2009 3:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Zach,

I agree with Jai.

The compatibility goal for the .Net Framework is that applications and components from previous versions should work smoothly on the .Net Framework 4.0, except for a set of known changes. It's the target for .NET 4.0 RTM version.

For Beta version, it is still not released. We had better not to apply it for commercial application. To make your application more stable, please deploy it with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
    However, for your insterests, you could have a try. Here is a helpful thread that shed some light on .NET Framework Compatibility testing:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxappcompatprerelease/thread/d307e0af-10e7-4aca-9582-a60844857f73

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    YiChun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:02 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by Zach_Shine Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:01 AM

All replies

• .NET Framework 4.0 is CTP /Beta.

If you are not using features of .NET 4.0 like parallel computing, we dont have to worry about shipping product with 4.0 version. It is not advisable to ship a product which is built on Beat/CTP framework.

Regards,
    Jai
    Monday, November 2, 2009 6:53 AM
  • Hi Zach,

I agree with Jai.

The compatibility goal for the .Net Framework is that applications and components from previous versions should work smoothly on the .Net Framework 4.0, except for a set of known changes. It's the target for .NET 4.0 RTM version.

For Beta version, it is still not released. We had better not to apply it for commercial application. To make your application more stable, please deploy it with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
    However, for your insterests, you could have a try. Here is a helpful thread that shed some light on .NET Framework Compatibility testing:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxappcompatprerelease/thread/d307e0af-10e7-4aca-9582-a60844857f73

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    YiChun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:02 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by Zach_Shine Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:01 AM