Wacom pen and the on-screen keyboard.

Question

• I have an ep121 and have noticed some annoying behaviors in regards to the Wacom pen, touch, and the on-screen keyboard.

First and foremost, when I click on any text field or the keyboard button on the desktop with the Wacom pen the keyboard comes up entirely black (sorry I do not really know how to post screenshots here) and does not work. If i click the same area with my finger it works.

Secondly, the pen still has the swipes I had in windows 7 (up-right to copy, left to go back, etc) - but touch does not. I really miss swipe to copy/paste with my finger.

Also, while i really like a lot of improvements that have been made to the on-screen keyboard, I really miss the delete button, the tab button, the up and down arrows, and the alt button. It makes no since not to have these but to have two large unused areas on either side of the keyboard. A combination of the current keyboard with the Windows 7 keyboard would be nice.

• Edited by CylonB Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:49 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hello CylonB,

For issues with the Wacom Pen, verify you have the most updated drivers from Wacom for Windows 7.

I am not sure what you are experiencing, but the On Screen Keyboard in Windows Developer Preview, does have the Delete Key, Tab Key, Up and down Arrows and the Alt keys. There are some additional Keys as well. Nav, Mv Up, Mv DN, Dock and Fade.

Go to Windows 7 and in the Start Search box, type in OSK. This will bring up the On Screen Keyboard.
    Then go to the Windows Developer Preview and go to the On Screen Keyboard. Do a comparision of the two On Screen Keyboard versions.
    Most of the keys are in the same place except for the Fn Key which has been moved to the left side of the keyboard.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Marilyn

Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I was not aware that there are still two on-screen keyboards. There is the one that pops up in metro apps / when you click on the icon on the right side of the taskbar and there is the OSK. I see that the OSK has all of the buttons I missed. Are there plans to combine the two keyboards?

I think updating the Wacom drivers has remedied the problem, thanks for the advice. I will post again if I can get the bug to repeat.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:40 PM
  • Hello CylonB,

There is only one On Screen Keyboard. You misunderstood what I was trying to describe.

I just wanted you to compare the difference between the On Screen Keyboard in Windows 7 and the On Screen Keyboard in the Windows Developers Preview.
    There are just a few differences, mainly added keys.

I'm glad the updated driver for the Wacom Pen was able to help with your issue.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:48 PM
  • Marilyn,

I believe you are confused. There are two on-screen keyboards. There is a simple (IPad like) one that is missing the arrow keys, alt button, etc and has its numpad upside down - and there is the one that you are talking about (the one actually called on-screen keyboard) which has the new buttons. Windows 7 had two keyboards also - although they looked almost the exact same.

The major issue here is that the on-screen keyboard which you are talking about must be launched through search or pinned to the start screen. The simple keyboard auto pops up (like an IPad) whenever a textbox is clicked. It also has an icon on the desktop taskbar.

So, while I admit one version of the OSK is improved from windows 7 - it is not the one that people are inclined to use.

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:28 AM
  • I agree completely. I didn't realize the osk existed because it's not the default keyboard...
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:38 AM
  • You are absolutely correct.  

Since I was not using a Touch Screen when I was testing, I only saw the one On-Screen Keyboard.
    However, there are two "virtual"/"soft"/"on-screen" keyboards in Windows Developer Preview. The first is the “On-screen Keyboard” also known as “OSK”. This is primarily designed for users who have difficulty using a physical keyboard. The OSK has a few changes in Windows Developers Preview with the addition of some new buttons to aid navigation and so forth. This one has the keypad version with the numbers at the top starting with 789.

The second is the "Touch keyboard and Handwriting", formerly known as the "Tablet PC Input Panel" in Windows 7 or "TabTip". This is the default touch keyboard that users will be interacting with Windows Developer Preview. This one has fewer keys and is primarily designed for text entry and the Del, UP/Down and Alt have been removed.

Thank you for the correction.

Marilyn

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:03 PM