none
Adding event to calendar from form submission RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am using a gravity form and was wondering if there is any way to have a user add an event to their outlook calendar from the form submission message.

My problem is that i need to figure out how to create a variable date (whatever the user fills in for the form) for the calendar file.

Any suggestions? Is this possible?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• What do you mean by a "gravity" form?  Can you also clarify what your requirements are for the start and end dates of the Appointment?

If you want to create an Appointment, just use the Application.CreateItem(olAppointmentItem) method.  A new AppointmentItem object will be returned and you can set the properties (.End, .Start, etc.) and call .Save to save it to the user's default Calendar.

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:43 PM
  • Thanks for your quick reply. Gravity form is a plugin for Wordpress, which i think is why i may be having trouble. My plan is to have a user input a date/time using the predefind fields, and then on the submission verification email have a link for them to add the specific date/time they chose on the form imported into their calendar.

The form/information is outside Outlook so I'm looking to bring in the variables from the form -- I just don't know how to or what  to put in the calendar file that will be the link.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Are you trying to create an .ics file or use the Outlook Object Model?  If the former, see here for the specs:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2445.txt

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Ok thanks, I think that link may help. I'm still a little confused so any more help would be greatly appreciated. If i take the date formating information from that link, what do i need to have in my .ics file? Can i input the variable date data in the usual .ics file or will this require something different?

I'm looking at the information regarding Date-Time Value Name: DATE-TIME ... Is this at all the right direction? Thanks so much.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:06 PM
  • All I can say is follow the format described in 4.3.5.  I don't have any experience with .ics files, but there are some MS examples here:

[MS-OXCICAL]: Organizer's Meeting Request:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee178741(EXCHG.80).aspx

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:17 PM