Menu Adapter, SiteMap file Horizontal Display.. RRS feed

• Question

• User-364224307 posted

Is it possible to create a horizontal menu using the below sitemap file?  The menu should display...

Home  Test  Projects
                            >Project 1

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <siteMap xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/AspNet/SiteMap-File-1.0">
        <siteMapNode url="~/" title="Home" description="Home">
            <siteMapNode url="~/Page1.aspx" title="Test" description="Test" />
            <siteMapNode url="" title="Projects" description="Projects">
                <siteMapNode url="" title="Project 1" description="Project 1" />
            </siteMapNode>
        </siteMapNode>
    </siteMap>

The problem with the current sitemap is that the css menu adapter will display the menu vertically since everything is under the top "Home" node.  I can work around this using the following sitemap and setting  ShowStartingNode="False" is the SiteMapDataSouce control.

<siteMapNode url="~/Default.aspx" title="Home" description="Home" />
            </siteMapNode>
        </siteMapNode>
    </siteMap>

Am I missing something or is this just the way the css menu adapter works?  Thanks.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:40 PM

All replies

• User-1360041575 posted

You can set the Menu control Orientation Property to Horizontal. It is Vertical by default.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:44 PM
  • User368629139 posted

If you want your menu to display without the home node you need to set the Static Display Levels. I think in your case you'd set it to 2

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:46 PM
  • User-364224307 posted

I do have the orientation of my menu control set to "Horizontal" (code below).  However, the menu appears vertically since the sitemap must have 1 root sitemapNode with all other siteMapNodes contained under the root.

<asp:Menu ID="mnuHeader" runat="server" DataSourceID="SiteMapDataSource1" Orientation="Horizontal"
             SkipLinkText="" StaticDisplayLevels="2" MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="2" cssselectorclass="PrettyMenu"/>

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:49 PM
  • User1407569999 posted

In your sitemapdatasource you have numerous options as to where to start parsing.  Check out its properties.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:50 PM
  • User-364224307 posted

noahb,
    I'm not sure this is a parsing problem.  I want to start parsing at <siteMapNode url="~/" title="Home" description="Home">.  But, I don't want the remaining nodes to fall vertically under the root Home node.

My menu should be.....Home  Test  Projects (Project 1 will fall under Projects).  If I remove the css adapter, the menu that is displayed correctly.  If I apply the adapter, the menu appears vertically. 

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:56 PM
  • User368629139 posted

I was having the exact same issue and setting the StaticDisplayLevels property to 2 solved this problem for me

Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:04 PM
  • User-364224307 posted

Also, I would just like to state I can create the correct menu using the sitemap below, but the SiteMapPath will always show "Home > Home" on Default.aspx.  This isn't a huge problem just annoying.

<siteMapNode url="~/Default.aspx" title="Home" description="Home" />
            </siteMapNode>
        </siteMapNode>
    </siteMap>

Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:07 PM
  • User-364224307 posted

Rodashar...I would like my Home node to displayed.  Is your home node displayed?  Is is not displaying for me when I set the staticDisplayLevels to 2.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:09 PM
  • User368629139 posted

My home node is not displayed. I must have misunderstood your question :P 

Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:14 PM
  • User-1360041575 posted
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:30 PM
  • User1407569999 posted

well the Title for "~/" and for "~/Default.aspx" are both "Home" so you'll see "Home > Home"  You might want to choose between one of these.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:48 PM
  • User-1360041575 posted
    If you get rid off the siteMapNode that is pointing to Default.aspx and change the root siteMapNode ' url to url="~/Default.aspx". You should not see Home twice. And, Change: ShowStartingNode="False" To: ShowStartingNode="True"
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:48 PM