The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Changing the OS in virtual machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My azure account was create by my employer and when I logged in, I found virtual machine was already created. I couldn't determine which OS image was installed on the machine. I would like to change the OS on the virtual machine. What options are available? Do I have to delete and create a new Virtual Machine loading my desired OS?

Regards

Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The best way to do a full version upgrade of an OS would be to

1. Download the VHD from Azure
    2. Do an inplace upgrade on your laptop
    3. Upload the VHD to Azure, and redeploy.

I guess you could do it directly in Azure if you are able to fulle automate the upgrade process, but the safest bet would be to download it first.

It's not easy do determine the image directly from the web. My best tip would be to verify what endpoints that's available. If SSH is enabled, it would in most cases be a Linux image. If PowerShell is enabled, it's a Windows image. Then you could log in to the machine and get the information.

Hope this answer your question :)

/Anders Eide

• Marked as answer by Susie Long Friday, October 10, 2014 4:54 AM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 5:26 AM
  • Hi,

No problem :)

Also note that Azure already have many Linux images ready for use. Take a look at these two links. The first one shows you how to create a Linux VM. The second one shows an overview over all ready to use images.

• azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-linux-tutorial/
    • http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/gallery/virtual-machines/

/Anders Eide

• Marked as answer by experimentX Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:45 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The best way to do a full version upgrade of an OS would be to

1. Download the VHD from Azure
    2. Do an inplace upgrade on your laptop
    3. Upload the VHD to Azure, and redeploy.

I guess you could do it directly in Azure if you are able to fulle automate the upgrade process, but the safest bet would be to download it first.

It's not easy do determine the image directly from the web. My best tip would be to verify what endpoints that's available. If SSH is enabled, it would in most cases be a Linux image. If PowerShell is enabled, it's a Windows image. Then you could log in to the machine and get the information.

Hope this answer your question :)

/Anders Eide

• Marked as answer by Susie Long Friday, October 10, 2014 4:54 AM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 5:26 AM
  • Thanks Anders Eide for you reply. Can I install linux image by this method. I want to install ubuntu server.
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

No problem :)

Also note that Azure already have many Linux images ready for use. Take a look at these two links. The first one shows you how to create a Linux VM. The second one shows an overview over all ready to use images.

• azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-linux-tutorial/
    • http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/gallery/virtual-machines/

/Anders Eide

• Marked as answer by experimentX Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:45 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:22 AM