none
Stale license for Visual Studio 2015 Community

Question

• I have been using the free versions of Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 for years. However I now get the stale license message and when I try to update it I cannot sign in to my microsoft account with the message "cookies must be allowed".

I have tried Edge and IE 11 which cannot even sign straight in to the microsoft account. Using Chrome I can sign directly into the microsoft account, but when I do it through Visual Studio I get message "cookies must be allowed".

I am using Windows 10 fully updated, on a Surface Pro 3 fully updated and I have uninstalled Visual studio 2013 and 2015 and reinstalled. My 3 browsers will accept cookies from other websites!

I am retired so I cannot claim that this problem is urgent, but I am getting serious withdrawal symptoms from not being able to continue my coding hobby.  

Sunday, August 21, 2016 9:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Crgal2,

>>when I do it through Visual Studio I get message "cookies must be allowed"

When we sign in Microsoft account from Visual Studio, which also call IE kernel to sign in the account. According to Microsoft Developer Services Privacy Statement, we could control cookies of IE through the following steps:

1). Click "Tools" and then select "Internet Options"

2). On the "General" tab, under "Browsing History," click the "Delete" button

3). On the pop-up, select the box next to “Cookies”

4). Click the "Delete" button

Please refer to following screenshot:

In addition, we should do some settings in Block or allow cookies. If you don't want sites to store cookies on your PC, you can block cookies. Please refer to the following steps to block cookies:

1). In Internet Explorer, select the Tools button, and then select Internet options.

2). Select the Privacy tab, and under Settings, select Advanced and choose if you want to allow, block or be prompted for first and third party cookies.

Reference:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/privacy-policy-vs.aspx

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 22, 2016 5:17 AM