none
Initialize two Kinects connected to two USB-Controllers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have problems getting two Kinects to work. I plugged in both Kinects and ensured that they are connected to different USB-Controllers. Both Kinects show up fine in the device manager. However, the modified SkeletalViewer sample applications for C++ and C# will fail to initialize the second Kinect. In the C++ Sample "MSR_NUIGetDeviceCount" returns 2, but initializing the INuiInstance retrived through "MSR_NuiCreateInstanceByIndex(1, &instance)" fails. Same is true for for the C# SkeletalViewer sample when changing "nui = new Runtime();" to  "nui = new Runtime(1);" As soon as I unplug one of the Kinects the other one works nicely.

I alread tried this on two Win7 machines both having at least two USB-Controllers. One of them even has an extra PCIe UBS 3.0 Controller. Still no success. Im running x64 Win7 with the latest SDK (1.00.12).

Am I missing something? Any advice or suggestions? 

Thank you, Felix

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:31 AM

All replies

• I've got this coming as a future Coding4Fun Kinect Gallery (http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/kinect) entry, but until then, check out this great article that walks you through installing and coding with multiple Kinect's, http://abhijitjana.net/2011/09/23/development-with-kinect-net-sdk-part-v-developing-application-using-multiple-kinect-devices/

Hope this helps,

Greg

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Felix_H,

When you have both devices plugged in and you go to Device Manager and look under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", you should see a couple of devices listed as "... Enhanced Host Controller ..." or something of the sort. What do you see here?

Then, if you open up property page for these devices and then go to "Advanced" tab, you should see some devices listed together with the USB bandwidth they are consuming. If you do this process for all USB host controllers, do you see exactly two different ones that have "Microsoft Kinect Camera" listed as one of the devices connected to USB host controller and using 61% bandwidth?

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:29 PM