none
VHD Location on MSCS File Server Cluster : Problems with File Locks RRS feed

• Question

• Question for anyone using an MSCS cluster for their file share -- especially if also using Citrix VDI:

I'm experiencing problems when trying to access a locked vDisk.  I can easily reproduce the problem by performing a hard shutdown of a machine with an active session with an FSLogix profile container and then immediately trying to start a new session before the lock on the VHD file is released (this is the behavior Citrix does when utilizing the "Restart" button in StoreFront).  The FSLogix agent hangs for a few minutes rather than retrying at the configured retry count/interval.

Note that this bad experience does not occur when using a single file server as the VHD location.  When using a single file server, the FSLogix agent continues to retry at the appropriate interval and then loads the profile container when the lock is released.  I only see the problem when using an MSCS cluster.

Thursday, December 12, 2019 9:54 PM

All replies

• Question for anyone using an MSCS cluster for their file share -- especially if also using Citrix VDI:

I'm experiencing problems when trying to access a locked vDisk.  I can easily reproduce the problem by performing a hard shutdown of a machine with an active session with an FSLogix profile container and then immediately trying to start a new session before the lock on the VHD file is released (this is the behavior Citrix does when utilizing the "Restart" button in StoreFront).  The FSLogix agent hangs for a few minutes rather than retrying at the configured retry count/interval.

Note that this bad experience does not occur when using a single file server as the VHD location.  When using a single file server, the FSLogix agent continues to retry at the appropriate interval and then loads the profile container when the lock is released.  I only see the problem when using an MSCS cluster.

Would you be able to share the error code that you are receiving when the connect is attempted while the file is still locked?  We will retry on the following errors:

ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION Error Code 32

ERROR_LOCK_VIOLATION Error Code 33

ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED Error Code 5

If your storage is returning a different error code the retry will not happen.  If you believe we need to consider others that is feedback we would like to hear.

Friday, December 20, 2019 10:53 PM