Wcf Data Service OR Wcf with Self-Tracking Entities RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

i should say that i get confused completely.  i need to know that when it's better to use Wcf Data Service and when to use Wcf with Self-Tracking Entities because i have a scenario that need to types of Client Applications (WPF and Silverlight) and i need one Domain Service that Serve Data to this clients and also Let them to work with them in OOP approach and let binding and other functionality that exists when using Entity framework context directly.

So Please someone help me to make decision.

Thanks So much

Saturday, January 8, 2011 12:33 PM

All replies

• So, What should i do? I think that there isn't anyone who can tell me some advice to make my decision.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Since your server already have EF sitting on top of the Database, I would argue that setting up WCF Data Service over EF is the way to go. It would take minimal effort to get up and running, and let you concentrate on client design. Binding is also supported out of the box.

Regards,

PQ

Peter Q. http://blogs.msdn.com/peter_qian
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:34 PM
    Answerer
  • So, you think that WCF Data Service is better than custom WCF Service with Self-Tracking Entities. But i want to know exactly why it's better and what kind of advantages and disadvantages this way brings for me. Because I think that with this approach we have only data as resource and we need to create BI over this layer but in custom WCF Service we can create Domain and Put BI in WCF layer . Thanks
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:07 AM