none
Addin causes Outlook 2016 to become non- responsive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an Outlook add-in that becomes inactive when restarting Outlook every time. I have tried few solutions for this issue like:

1.) Use of "Always enable this add-in" option in Outlook.

2.) Creation of registry key to force Outlook to never disable the add-in, under

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Resiliency\DoNotDisableAddinList]

3.) Disable Certificates for publisher and server on the client PC

4.) Disable Client Certificate Revocation (CRL) check on IIS.

But, none of the above seems to help, instead, I could not get Outlook to launch (it hung indefinitely) if the add-in was forced to load (using the always load add-in option).

I did not face these issues in Outlook 2013, but for Outlook 2016 this issue is very frequent.

It seems that Outlook 2016 has become a lot stricter when checking add-in performance for such metrics as add-in start-up, shutdown, item open and folder switching, but is there a way to resolve this issue?

Could anyone please help as this is very frustrating to not able to use the Add-in or the Outlook itself.

Thanks in advance,

Pratik Prakash

Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Pratik Prakash,

can you inform us what that addin do?

which Outlook version you are using exactly?

did you try to make a test with different version of Outlook 2016 or make a test on other machines?

it is possible that some specific version have this issue and if you change the update then it can solve the issue.

try to check if you are available with any latest update then you can try to install it and then again make a test.

if you are using the latest version then try to remove the latest update and then try to make a test.

also find the reason why your addin takes much more time to get close and try to minimize this time for better performance.

is your addin performing any operation when outlook get close?

if yes , let us know about that and if possible then post your sample code here. we will try to reproduce the issue with Outlook 2016 on our side.

try to make the test as mentioned above and let us know about the result , so that we can try to provide you further suggestion to solve the issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Pratik Prakash Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:27 AM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 3:07 AM

All replies

• Have you checked the Application Event log for a message from Outlook that explains why the add-in has been disabled?
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I have collected the following information from the Application event logs:

Load Behavior: 3

HKLM: 1

Threshold Time (Milliseconds): 500

Time Taken (Milliseconds): 3229

Disable Reason: This add-in caused Outlook to close slowly.

Policy Exception (Allow List): 0

I do understand that it mentions the time taken by add-in to load is more than the threshold time causing it to disable, but this never happened until Outlook 2013.

Is there a way, in which the same could be achieved for Outlook 2016?

Thanks,

Pratik.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:48 PM
  • Also, following is the log obtained when the add-in is put to the always enabled list, causing Outlook to hang indefinitely &crash.

Load Behavior: 2

Threshold Time (Milliseconds): 0

Time Taken (Milliseconds): 0

Disable Reason: The add-in caused Outlook to crash but wasn't disabled because it is in the do not disable list. It wasn't disabled because it's in the always enable list.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:54 PM
  • Also, following is the log obtained when the add-in is put to the always enabled list, causing Outlook to hang indefinitely &crash.

Load Behavior: 2

Threshold Time (Milliseconds): 0

Time Taken (Milliseconds): 0

Disable Reason: The add-in caused Outlook to crash but wasn't disabled because it is in the do not disable list. It wasn't disabled because it's in the always enable list.

The above indicates that there is a problem with the add-in that caused Outlook to crash.  It seems you have some debugging to do.
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:01 PM
  • I haven’t found any issue or useful information on debugging the add-in which could list out the root cause of the problem.

Also, as I am facing this issue specifically in Outlook 2016, and not in other versions of Outlook, it would be great if you could help me in figuring out a way to load the add-in as well as outlook correctly for the same.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:38 PM
  • You could edit the registry to delete information that Outlook has stored to essentially reset the clock as if your add-in has never been used.  Don't forget to reset the add-in's load behavior also.

For example, on my system with Outlook 2013 information is recorded in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Resiliency\CrashingAddinList

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Resiliency\DisabledItems

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Resiliency\DoNotDisableAddinList

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\AddInLoadTimes

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Addins

• Edited by RLWA32 Thursday, July 20, 2017 5:03 PM
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Did you actually run your addin under the debugger when using Outlook 2016?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Thursday, July 20, 2017 5:57 PM
  • Hi Dmitry,

It would be helpful if you could share some pointers on which information I should specifically look for while debugging the add-in.

Because, as I mentioned earlier, I did not find any issue with the add-in. The only problem noticed is the add-in load time, it does take some time to load (~3200 ms as per logs) causing Outlook to disable it.

Thanks,

Pratik

Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:45 PM
  • Well, just step through you addin start up code and see what takes a long time to execute.

Are you referencing any assemblies that can take a while to load?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:54 PM
  • Because, as I mentioned earlier, I did not find any issue with the add-in. The only problem noticed is the add-in load time, it does take some time to load (~3200 ms as per logs) causing Outlook to disable it.

You are mistaken about load times.  The event log message from Outlook said

Load Behavior: 3

Threshold Time (Milliseconds): 500

Time Taken (Milliseconds): 3229

Disable Reason: This add-in caused Outlook to close slowly.

It appears that the problem is when Outlook tries to close, not when it starts.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:59 PM
  • My bad, thanks for pointing that out.

So, 3229 ms was the time taken by add-in to shut down against threshold time of 500 ms.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:18 PM
  • My bad, thanks for pointing that out.

So, 3229 ms was the time taken by add-in to shut down against threshold time of 500 ms.

Yes.  So now you have an idea where to focus your debugging efforts.
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:46 PM
  • Hi Pratik Prakash,

can you inform us what that addin do?

which Outlook version you are using exactly?

did you try to make a test with different version of Outlook 2016 or make a test on other machines?

it is possible that some specific version have this issue and if you change the update then it can solve the issue.

try to check if you are available with any latest update then you can try to install it and then again make a test.

if you are using the latest version then try to remove the latest update and then try to make a test.

also find the reason why your addin takes much more time to get close and try to minimize this time for better performance.

is your addin performing any operation when outlook get close?

if yes , let us know about that and if possible then post your sample code here. we will try to reproduce the issue with Outlook 2016 on our side.

try to make the test as mentioned above and let us know about the result , so that we can try to provide you further suggestion to solve the issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Pratik Prakash Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:27 AM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 3:07 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

Talking about the add-in, it is basically the client side add-in which connects to the server on load.

Using the add-in, the details of an Outlook activity (email, appointment, tasks) are stored/modified/deleted in the database.

As of now, I am using Outlook 2016 (16.0.7726.1042) 32 - bit version. There are other machines with the same version of Outlook installed, where the issue is not reproducible.

So, I have not been able to exactly isolate the difference between a working and an affected machine.

Also, this is not the latest version of Outlook, so I am trying to install the latest update and test as well.

I would get back with more information then.

Thanks,

Pratik Prakash

Monday, July 24, 2017 11:35 AM
  • Hi Pratik Prakash,

if latest version of Outlook also has the same issue then try to repair the Office from control panel.

so if there is any corruption in Outlook then it can be corrected by repairing the Office.

let us about the testing result , so that we can try to provide you further suggestions.

Regards

Deepak 

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:49 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

Thanks for all the valuable suggestions, the installed Office was not the latest version and updating the same seems to resolve the issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Pratik Prakash

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

Clearing off the above registry to reset the clock helped to load the Add-in for the first time, but again once outlook was closed the issue persisted.

It seems that we didn't have the latest update for outlook installed, updating the same helped to resolve the issue.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,

Pratik Prakash.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:27 AM