Visual Studio 2010 and SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am pretty sure that I read this correctly, but since we will have to put out the cash for this, I want to make sure.  We are hiring a new developer who will be in charge of maintaining our SharePoint 2010 environment.  As such they may be required to create some webparts, templates, etc. using Visual Studio 2010.  It seems that you have to have Visual Studio 2010 and SharePoint 2010 on the same machine to do this development.  Can someone confirm?  If so it will change the type of laptop and OS we get for this person.

I tried to connect to a remote sharepoint environment on my machine, but I was not successful, which I think is validating my comments above.  The other option I guess is to install Visual Studio on the server and have him remote on to that for doing work.

Thanks,

Greg

• Moved by Clayton Cobb Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:05 PM Visual Studio questions = Visual Studio forum (From:SharePoint 2010 - Using SharePoint Designer, Infopath, and other customization)
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:01 PM

Answers

• Yes, you need to have VS 2010 and SP 2010 on the same box.  I think that is because you'll be referencing DLLs that only get installed on the SP server.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:19 PM

All replies

• Yes, you need to have VS 2010 and SP 2010 on the same box.  I think that is because you'll be referencing DLLs that only get installed on the SP server.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:19 PM
  • One more option: you can download SP2010 Foundation and install it on the dev machine (providing it's Windows 7, x64). That way he can work locally and you don't need to worry about licensing another full Sharepoint installation. There are limitations like the lack of Content Query Web Part, no Publishing features, etc., but he can use it to develop features for web parts, templates, site definitions, etc. If you're going down this route I would suggest also having a staging server running a SharePoint instance that matches your production environment so that any unexpected behaviour is caught before going to production.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:25 AM