Failed to uninstall the secondary tile completely.

Question

• Hello, Dear all,

My app could pin a secondary tile to the start screen, and I could unpin it from code or from the start screen. And if it is unpinned from the start screen, the tiles would not appear if it is installed. This is the correct behavior.

The issue I encountered is:

If I don't unpin the pinned tiles explicitly from code or the start screen then uninstalled the app, the tiles would still be there if the app is installed again.

I don't know how this happens! Any suggestion?

Thank you all!

• Edited by B0L Friday, March 28, 2014 11:06 AM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 11:04 AM

Answers

• It turns out to be that we need to set the field "RoamingEnabled" of the SecondaryTile to false (especially when you log into the system with your live id).

Thanks Matt and all of you for your cares.

• Marked as answer by B0L Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:52 AM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:52 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure if this is invalid behavior. There are any reasons a person might need to uninstall/reinstall, and we wouldn't want to lose information on uninstall/reinstall unless it was necessary. The user has the ability to remove the secondary tile at will, and if they are removed on uninstall, then it looks fine. If they are put back when the app is reinstalled, then I don't see any harm. I think this is likely by-design to allow scenarios for uninstall/reinstall. 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, March 28, 2014 12:37 PM
  • Hi, Matt, thank you very much for the reply.

The most confusing thing is that: the examples from MSDN have no such issue (they are using a different SecondaryTile constructor with mine).

I am using the following two guys to implement the "Pin to Start" function:

1. SecondaryTile.SecondaryTile(String, String, String, String, TileOptions, Uri);

2. SecondaryTile.RequestCreateAsync().

My app works well in Win8.0. The issue occurred when upgrading my project to Win8.1. I've searched MSDN and there is no document saying the above functions have compatibility or other issue...

• Edited by B0L Monday, March 31, 2014 6:17 AM
    Monday, March 31, 2014 3:27 AM
  • What code are they using to create a secondary tile? If theirs work in the manner that you desire, should you follow that instead?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, March 31, 2014 1:33 PM
  • Yeah, Matt, I will try that and update the discussion per my results. I hope it would be the same as the MSDN doesn't say anything special for the functions I've been used.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 1:01 AM
  • It turns out to be that we need to set the field "RoamingEnabled" of the SecondaryTile to false (especially when you log into the system with your live id).

Thanks Matt and all of you for your cares.

• Marked as answer by B0L Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:52 AM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:52 AM