Active Directory Service Intigretion in Windows store App

Question

• Hi All,

Am Developing Windows Store App.

My requirement is i need to create a Login Page,where username and password will be my Email Id(arjun@mycomp.com) and password is My Mail Id Password.

i.e., i need to use the same credential for my application also which i use to login to my mail(portal.microsoftonline.com)

Any suggestion would be of great help.

Thanks

Arjun

Monday, June 23, 2014 1:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As I know there is no a direct connection between AD and Windows Store Apps. So the solution I recommend is to implement an authentication Web Service that integrate with the active directory and can be called from the Windows Store App.

The Web Service will just act as a broker between the store app and AD.

Regards,

Ibraheem Osama Mohamed | My Blog | @IbraheemOM | My Website

(If my reply answers your question, please propose it as an answer)

Monday, June 23, 2014 8:25 PM
  • Just to extend what Ibraheem has mentioned for offline validation (similar to what we see in Laptop once user opens it at home outside office network), here are the steps I would suggest:

1) Implement a WCF that uses AD or your ADFS to authenticate user credentials.

2) Check if internet is present, if not go to Windows Credential Manager aka Password Vault and see if there are already credentials saved, if so then App needs to validate if they are the same or not. These credentials will be saved in Step (4)

3) If internet is present and you can talk to WCF then use the credentials to Authenticate via WCF.

4) On successful login store those credentials in Windows Credential Manager for next time use.

In some applications like Facebook, Mail etc. Password Vault is used to avoid asking for user to login again and again. It is just done if password is found bad then user will be again prompted to login and on success those new credentials will be stored in Password Vault.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you. Happy Coding!!!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As I know there is no a direct connection between AD and Windows Store Apps. So the solution I recommend is to implement an authentication Web Service that integrate with the active directory and can be called from the Windows Store App.

The Web Service will just act as a broker between the store app and AD.

Regards,

Ibraheem Osama Mohamed | My Blog | @IbraheemOM | My Website

(If my reply answers your question, please propose it as an answer)

Monday, June 23, 2014 8:25 PM
  • Just to extend what Ibraheem has mentioned for offline validation (similar to what we see in Laptop once user opens it at home outside office network), here are the steps I would suggest:

1) Implement a WCF that uses AD or your ADFS to authenticate user credentials.

2) Check if internet is present, if not go to Windows Credential Manager aka Password Vault and see if there are already credentials saved, if so then App needs to validate if they are the same or not. These credentials will be saved in Step (4)

3) If internet is present and you can talk to WCF then use the credentials to Authenticate via WCF.

4) On successful login store those credentials in Windows Credential Manager for next time use.

In some applications like Facebook, Mail etc. Password Vault is used to avoid asking for user to login again and again. It is just done if password is found bad then user will be again prompted to login and on success those new credentials will be stored in Password Vault.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you. Happy Coding!!!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:19 AM