none
Is there a way to check the validity of internal hyperlinks inside an active word document? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'am trying to build an ms word add-in in which ,

I wanted to check for a particular scenario,i.e say a user inserts a bookmark and later in the document adds a cross reference to this bookmark.But he then deletes the bookmark and forgets to update his document, now upon pressing ctrl+click (to follow the link) takes me to the start of the document, instead I wanted to know if we can display a specific message to the user telling him to update his document or even  remove the cross reference by any chance .

Please let me know how I can go about this ,I know how to test for invalid links with respect to toc. But this scenario is confusing.Any help is much much appreciated.Thanks in advance :) 

Monday, November 10, 2014 7:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Apoorva,

For this requirement, you could do validation in the click event of a button or before save document etc…

You could refer to this code to get the Bookmark of Cross-reference, if the bookmark has been removed it will throw error, you could capture the error to check whether the target bookmark exists.

Dim doc As Word.Document

Dim fld As Word.Field

Dim rng As Word.Range

Dim str As String

Set doc = ActiveDocument

For Each fld In doc.Fields

If fld.Type = wdFieldRef Then

str = fld.Code

str = Replace(str, "REF ", "")

str = Replace(str, "\h", "")

str = Trim(str)

‘need handle the error if the bookmark has been deleted.

Set rng = doc.Bookmarks(str).Range

End If

Next

You also could delete that cross-reference directly by using Field.Result.Delete

Best Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Apoorva,

For this requirement, you could do validation in the click event of a button or before save document etc…

You could refer to this code to get the Bookmark of Cross-reference, if the bookmark has been removed it will throw error, you could capture the error to check whether the target bookmark exists.

Dim doc As Word.Document

Dim fld As Word.Field

Dim rng As Word.Range

Dim str As String

Set doc = ActiveDocument

For Each fld In doc.Fields

If fld.Type = wdFieldRef Then

str = fld.Code

str = Replace(str, "REF ", "")

str = Replace(str, "\h", "")

str = Trim(str)

‘need handle the error if the bookmark has been deleted.

Set rng = doc.Bookmarks(str).Range

End If

Next

You also could delete that cross-reference directly by using Field.Result.Delete

Best Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9:10 AM
  • Thanks a million Starain, works like a charm :) Thank you so much ..had been stuck on the logic for days now :) 
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:44 AM