VB 6 RUNTIME on Windows 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install vb 6 runtime sp6 on Windows 2008, but every time it just flashes and window and quits but doesn't give any errors or any information and just fails?

Is there a seperate package to install this for Windows 2008?  I just downloaded the one on Microsoft.

I have an old application which says it requires VB runtime 6 that's why I'm trying to install it.  When I runt he program without it it says there were ADO issues and fails.  So I'm hoping if I get the runtime installed it will work.

Thanks,
    Terry
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 6:17 PM

Answers

• Hey guys,

I thought Win7 and Win2008 already includes the Runtime itself. If you need additional controls to what you have you need to copy then and register with regsvr32.exe. At least this is the info i have. Let us know if that helps

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

Tim
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Hi Matt,

I quote the following from the support statement document as we mentioned above,

"
    *Supported Runtime Files – Shipping in the OS: Key Visual Basic 6.0 runtime files, used in the majority of application scenarios, are shipping in and supported for the lifetime of Windows Vista, or Windows Server 2008, or Windows 7. This lifetime is five years of mainstream support and five years of extended support from the time that a given version of Windows ships.  These files have been tested for compatibility as part of our testing of Visual Basic 6.0 applications running on Windows Vista.  Note: the list of files shipping in Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows XP are nearly identical and redist requirements for applications should be nearly identical.  One key difference is TriEdit.dll was removed from Windows Vista and later versions.   
    *Supported Runtime Files – Extended Files to Distribute with your application: extended list of key controls, libraries, and tools that are installed from the IDE media or from Microsoft.com to the developer machine.  Typically the VB6 IDE installed these controls to the developer machine by default.  The developer still needs to redistribute these files with the application.  The supported version of the files is available online on the Microsoft Download Center (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=142927).
    "

The runtime is already shipped with Windows Server 2008. What the vbruntime 6 installs should be the extended runtime files. Also based on the same documentation, we can know the ADO function is implemented in msado15.dll. It is in the basic runtime category, rather than the extended rutnime files. So I think your installing problem may not be related to the runtime installation.

My recommendation is raising a new thread and post exact error message you encounter.

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou

Monday, June 15, 2009 10:46 AM

All replies

• The service pack should be installed on your development machine. You can install the Visual Basic runtime files (e.g. MSVBVM60.DLL) manually, or during application setup, if they are not already installed.

What are the ADO errors you are getting? ADO is actually part of the MDAC.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 7:24 PM
  • How would I install the files manually?  I can extract the files but it doesn't tell me where they all go?

Plus it seems like MS would have a package that installs on Windows 2008 since they support it on Windows 2008?

The ADO errors are around trying to connect to a database I believe, I dont have the exact error in front of me though.

Are these known things by people that the vb runtime 6 install doesn't install on Windows 2008?

Terry
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Like I said, the runtimes can be deployed with your app (using your installation program) if they are required. It's not a separate install. Did you search the file system for Windows 2008 in order to determine whether MSVBVM60.dll was already installed. Most newer versions of the Windows OS already have these files. You can find a list below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/830761

Sorry, but I would need more detail with respect to the errors in order to troubleshoot the ADO issue. There just isn't enough info here.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Hi matt,

We can use Process Monitor to trace where the vbrun60sp...exe install the files. I use the tool in my side and get the following records

89303 4:51:51.1012710 PM vbrun60sp5.exe 7076 QueryOpen C:\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll FAST IO DISALLOWED 
    89305 4:51:51.1014094 PM vbrun60sp5.exe 7076 CreateFile C:\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll SUCCESS Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    89309 4:51:51.1015398 PM vbrun60sp5.exe 7076 QueryStandardInformationFile C:\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll SUCCESS AllocationSize: 1,388,544, EndOfFile: 1,386,496, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: False
    89310 4:51:51.1015546 PM vbrun60sp5.exe 7076 QueryNetworkOpenInformationFile C:\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll SUCCESS CreationTime: 1/5/2008 7:28:50 PM, LastAccessTime: 1/5/2008 7:28:50 PM, LastWriteTime: 1/19/2008 3:35:15 PM, ChangeTime: 5/4/2009 3:32:08 PM, AllocationSize: 1/1/1601 8:00:00 AM, EndOfFile: 1/1/1601 8:00:00 AM, FileAttributes: A
    89311 4:51:51.1015650 PM vbrun60sp5.exe 7076 CloseFile C:\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll SUCCESS 
    89314 4:51:51.1017372 PM vbrun60sp5.exe 7076 CreateFile C:\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll SUCCESS Desired Access: Read Control, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    89318 4:51:51.1017670 PM vbrun60sp5.exe 7076 QuerySecurityFile C:\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll SUCCESS Information: Owner, Group, DACL
    89322 4:51:51.1017842 PM vbrun60sp5.exe 7076 CloseFile C:\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll SUCCESS 
    89328 4:51:51.1020308 PM vbrun60sp5.exe 7076 CreateFile C:\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    89329 4:51:51.1020602 PM vbrun60sp5.exe 7076 QueryBasicInformationFile C:\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll SUCCESS CreationTime: 1/5/2008 7:28:50 PM, LastAccessTime: 1/5/2008 7:28:50 PM, LastWriteTime: 1/19/2008 3:35:15 PM, ChangeTime: 5/4/2009 3:32:08 PM, FileAttributes: A
    89331 4:51:51.1020718 PM vbrun60sp5.exe 7076 CloseFile C:\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll SUCCESS 

That is to say the installer actually already install the VB runtime component for us. So it is hard to say whether the application error you are trying to fix is related to the VB6 runtime. Where did you get the old application? If you can post more detailed information about the exact error, maybe someone in the community can provide future help.

By the way, the ADO is implemented in the msado15.dll/msado15r.dll, can you find these dlls from the following folder in your side?
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado

Regards,
    Ji Zhou
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:02 AM
  • Hey guys,

I thought Win7 and Win2008 already includes the Runtime itself. If you need additional controls to what you have you need to copy then and register with regsvr32.exe. At least this is the info i have. Let us know if that helps

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

Tim
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Hi Mat,

I am writing to check the status of the issue in your side? Is there any future help we can provide?

Regards,
    Ji Zhou

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:50 AM
  • I am still workign on it.  I have contacted the author of the software I'm tryignt o run to see if he can give me any insight.

Questions:
    Is there a package for installing VB Runtimes 6 on Windows 2008 x64?  If so where do I get it?  From above it seems as if there's some question about whether there is a package or not.

Terry
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Hi Terry,

As far as I know, there is not a stand-alone VB6 Runtime package for Windows 2008 x64 to download.

Actually, based on the Support Statement document posted by Tim, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx,
    The VB Runtime files are shipped with Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7. So the VB6 runtime should not be the problem here, I believe.

I would like to suggest to get more information about the exact error and raise a new thread for it.

Regards,
    Ji Zhou
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:18 AM
  • When I try to install vbruntime 6 sp6 it says vb 6 runtime is not installed.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Hi Matt,

I quote the following from the support statement document as we mentioned above,

"
    *Supported Runtime Files – Shipping in the OS: Key Visual Basic 6.0 runtime files, used in the majority of application scenarios, are shipping in and supported for the lifetime of Windows Vista, or Windows Server 2008, or Windows 7. This lifetime is five years of mainstream support and five years of extended support from the time that a given version of Windows ships.  These files have been tested for compatibility as part of our testing of Visual Basic 6.0 applications running on Windows Vista.  Note: the list of files shipping in Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows XP are nearly identical and redist requirements for applications should be nearly identical.  One key difference is TriEdit.dll was removed from Windows Vista and later versions.   
    *Supported Runtime Files – Extended Files to Distribute with your application: extended list of key controls, libraries, and tools that are installed from the IDE media or from Microsoft.com to the developer machine.  Typically the VB6 IDE installed these controls to the developer machine by default.  The developer still needs to redistribute these files with the application.  The supported version of the files is available online on the Microsoft Download Center (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=142927).
    "

The runtime is already shipped with Windows Server 2008. What the vbruntime 6 installs should be the extended runtime files. Also based on the same documentation, we can know the ADO function is implemented in msado15.dll. It is in the basic runtime category, rather than the extended rutnime files. So I think your installing problem may not be related to the runtime installation.

My recommendation is raising a new thread and post exact error message you encounter.

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou

Monday, June 15, 2009 10:46 AM
  • When i go to the link to download the extended run-time http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957924/ and try to install it it shows me an error telling me that i must have VB 6 installed.

So VB6 run-time is installed by default, how do i install the extended run-time? do i tell my customers to install VB 6 IDE and then the run-time?, i send them a bat to register the controls?

Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:02 PM
  • The Extended Runtime is installed on a development machine, tested and deployed with your updated applications using their respective install programs. Your customers should not be installing this package (unless they have VB 6.0 installed and are developing VB 6.0 apps).
    Friday, July 8, 2011 12:07 AM
  •  

They are maintaining VB6 apps and they don't have installers, they just deploy the exe to a shared folder in a server.

They have about 1500 users internally, they create an image with all the components needed (at this time the OS is XP), after the image is installed and configured in the PC the users access the applications through links to the executables in the shared folder.

Now they are testing Windows 7, when they try to run their applications from the share they fail, that's why they want to install this extended run-time in the image.

So I will repeat my question, is there a way to install this VB 6 Extended run-time as a standalone installer on Windows 7?, do I have to test every application and manually register all the missing components?

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:00 PM
  • Not using Microsoft's installation package no. It's only for systems with VB 6.0 installed.

If you want to install those components on a non-developer machine then you will have to create a custom install package from a development machine, that has the components installed, using a setup toolkit (such as Inno Setup). The other option to to manually copy and register those components to the machine where the image is created.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:30 PM
  • OK, i  think i know how to approach this, (run all apps in the test machine, keep a log of all the missing components and create an installer)

Thanks for your time

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:36 PM