Visual Studio shows unexpected error while trying to open custom project property page RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

currently im trying to add a project property page to my package (MPF VS2010) following the creating basic project system walkthrough. While trying to open this page i get an "Unexpected Error Occured" Dialog box (no Additional Information whatsoever).

Has anyone with a similar problem solved it or knows hot to get more information on the problem?

Greatly Appreciated

Merando

Thursday, August 7, 2014 11:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I read that document and it contains a lot of steps. Did you finished all the steps? Or could you please tell us which specific step you came across the "Unexpected Error Occured" Dialog box? Anyway, I think you need to find when the error appears or which step leads the error first.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 11, 2014 6:00 AM
  • Hello,

I've implemented an editor before adding the project system. It was implemented quite similar as described in the walkthrough.
    There are two differences:

1. i included the project template directly as zip
    2. i haven't implemented the child node cause it is not needed. In my opinion there is no real difference.

So every other thing works fine except for the project property page.

When the custom project starts all parameters where shown, so i don't think there's a problem with the project file.

While debugging VS asks for the Guids correctly, but i think it failes at the GetCfgProvider Method in the Project.ProjectNodeProperties, in the line with "return this.Node.ProjectMgr.GetCfgProvider(out p)". The implementation of the property page is never been called.

public override int GetCfgProvider(out IVsCfgProvider p)
    		{
    			if(this.Node != null && this.Node.ProjectMgr != null)
    			{
    				return this.Node.ProjectMgr.GetCfgProvider(out p);
    			}

return base.GetCfgProvider(out p);
    		}

It's not easy to understand particularly i don't know whats happening inside the provider. The configuration list and the properties are both empty when it's called, don't know if that matters.

Is there a way to initialize that provider or does a workaround exist for the property page and the design view?

Greatly Appreciated

Monday, August 11, 2014 12:05 PM