TFS2010 and Visual Studio 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am new to TFS and have just started at a company that is using TFS2010 and Visual Studio 2015. I have been tasked with planning an upgrade to TFS2015. However, in the meantime, we would like to developers to start using Visual Studio 2015. 

I understand that this may seem a little backward but the TFS upgrade may have to wait due to other business factors.

My question relates to the effect that using Visual Studio 2015 will have on TFS2010. As I understand, I will have to install VS2015 on each build controller but what other things should I be looking out for? They are using a TFSBuild.proj file that imports the Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.targets file - what can I do about that?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Thursday, December 3, 2015 6:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest that you may use a build template for TFS 2010 instead of TFSBuild.proj file. Then after you have installed VS 2015 on your build agent, follow the steps below to finish customizing your build template.

1.Open your build template, find the Run MSBuild activity.

2. In the Properties window, find the ToolPath, enter in “C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\Bin”.

3. In build definition, choose the custom template.

Visual Studio work as a client for TFS, so they are separate from each other. As far as I know, visual studio 2015 is compatible with TFS 2010 at a high level.

The link below is about client compatibility between TFS and VS.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/Library/vs/alm/TFS/administer/requirements

Friday, December 4, 2015 9:33 AM