Why do I see BLANK DOM Explorer for my project in Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows?

Question

• I've just started to learn and create some Windows 8.1 Store Apps. I see DOM explorer empty every time I debug my project. As well as I can't run any "console.log" commands in Visual Studio.  2013. 

sonal

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Sonal,

It works fine on my VS, I'm not sure if this happens on your all project or just this one.

For testing you could create a new WinJS project and debug to see if such issue happens or not.

If NO, the issue might be on your current VS project. Is the project migrate from win8 project? Or can you create a demo for problem reproduce?

If YES, it seems the problem located on your IDE(Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows). Try to reset your IDE by following steps:

• Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is <C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE>); 
    • VSWinExpress.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.
    • VSWinExpress.exe /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.

If still no help, I suggest you try repairing your VS or uninstall it and then reinstall it.

Hope it would help you and Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Sonal,

It works fine on my VS, I'm not sure if this happens on your all project or just this one.

For testing you could create a new WinJS project and debug to see if such issue happens or not.

If NO, the issue might be on your current VS project. Is the project migrate from win8 project? Or can you create a demo for problem reproduce?

If YES, it seems the problem located on your IDE(Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows). Try to reset your IDE by following steps:

• Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is <C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE>); 
    • VSWinExpress.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.
    • VSWinExpress.exe /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.

If still no help, I suggest you try repairing your VS or uninstall it and then reinstall it.

Hope it would help you and Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:28 AM
  • Thanks James for the detailed reply.

This problem happens to all of my projects. I opened a sample and see that DOM explorer is empty. I created a dummy project with just a template and still DOM explorer is empty.

Visual Studio 2013 is installed in Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0 folder right? Your solution asks to see in 11.0 folder. Please let me know if I'm wrong, because I don't see any file like VSWinExpress.exe /SafeMode in my installation folder.

How do I repair this installation? 

Thanks and Regards

Sonal

sonal

Okay, now it is working. I repaired the installation and now I can see DOM explorer as well as console command working. Thanks again!!
    • Edited by SonalMac Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:51 PM Found answer
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:40 PM