none
Small Basic Extension Manager RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've had this small utility hanging around for a while, if anyone wants to try it I uploaded to TechNet Gallery.

Currently the online database of extensions is limited, but if you want more added, the requirements are a web location with a zip download containing the extension dll and xml.

Suggestions welcome as well as any extensions that meet requirements that you want added.

With extension writer's permission I am happy to host their extensions in this way.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 12:48 PM

All replies

• ..nifty little SB Tool, that reminded me to make some changes in my 'strange' SB folder structure. I have all 3 versions SB 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 in parallel and well separated from each other to avoid extension overwritings.

...Microsoft\Small Basic\       with SB 1.1

..   -""-      \Small Basic10\     with, the name says it, SB 1.0,    and

...  -""-      \Small Basic12\     with SB 1.2

Each folder with its .\lib\  directory and .\Projects\  folder.  So SBExtMgr  shows a full list of all my SB 1.1  extensions in the default path :-)

Saturday, April 23, 2016 8:12 PM
    Answerer
  • yes it assumes a default SB installation folder and doesn't know/check anyting else.

I could add a setting for this, but the idea was KIS (keep  is simple)
    Saturday, April 23, 2016 8:39 PM
  • KIS best for 99% of all cases. Perhaps default settings with the ability to select another path would be a good idea, Donno if much would change.

Did'nt try yet, but as alternative i could imagine to set the default \lib\ as a junction and switch it's target, to the desired version of SBxx\lib (similar works for SBIDE++ and SB10) . Or simply rename \Small Basic\ <-> \Small BasicXX\ before starting the extension manager.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 9:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Nice one Litdev.  e.g. I just updated LD extension using it. So very handy.

Thanks for including Jibba.dll.

fyi's: I maintain a last updated date and online documentation at getJibba.com

Saturday, April 23, 2016 10:07 PM
  • Multiple installations cold be handled, but for those like you who are well on top of what you have installed probably don't want some app managing it for you.

The idea is for those who just want to know what is out there, try it and disable if they want it, without lots of searching links etc. Also since it is UAC controlled it could be useful for those teaching to control what is available.

In your case, perhaps my suggestion would be to make your default intsallation the most recent which is where most breaking changes may be.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 10:12 PM

Added Jibba extension to web list with links to your download and website.
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:15 AM
  • simply F A N T A S T IC !!!!!

wow ! GREAT WORKS for the SB community !

After my installation, i see that there is color code who tells me which extension is already on my computer.

To date i have Litdev and Jibba extension installed.

Question to LitDev:

Is this mean that, in a future nearly, when i will go far ahead in my computing experience, and finally do my own extension, it will appear on this manager ?

Sunday, April 24, 2016 2:19 PM
    Answerer
  • @ Yvan - of course

@ Pappa - uploaded a new version where you can set the SB installation path.

"The default installation location can be over-ridden by creating a fle called SBExtensionManager.settings in your Documents folder.  Place a single line in this file with the installation folder path you want to use."

Sunday, April 24, 2016 2:49 PM
  • ... make your default intsallation the most recent which is where most breaking changes may be.

Yes, i postpone that since last year, to do all the changes (paths, links, assoc, explorer/reg integrations) in one go.

And, whoow, youre sooo fast. Thanks a lot from a 1%er :).

Sunday, April 24, 2016 7:39 PM
    Answerer
  • I've had some issues with the installer so went simple wih just a download containing the required exe and dlls -  the old version deskop link can safely now just be deleted - KIS (keep it simple) rules again.

EDIT

Using the download to just get exe and dlls which you save to a folder, the location now for SBExtensionManager.settings is this same folder - simpler.

Sunday, April 24, 2016 7:50 PM
  • More stable version updated, with proxy server, more error checking, auto generated extension API documentation and some more extensions added.

The earlier version desktop link created with old installer can safely just be deleted.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:24 PM
  • How would I post info on my extension so the program can access the data?

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 4:41 AM
    Answerer
  • You let me know what you want me to add or change. 

See the ExtensionDatabase.xml file downloaded.  I will change anything associated with your extensions in this.

The database stores only basic stuff like, the extension name, short description, author, version as well as links to download zip, web homepage and web API.

The last 3 are just links to web resources so if these are set to your web resources (as they are the Jibba extension)then you maintain and update the content on these links, otherwise I host the download zip on my site.

I am also working to improve the auto API generation for xml that has non standard (different) structure - which I think I will manage.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 9:40 AM

What does Jibba.dll do?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 7:19 AM
    Owner
  • LitDev,

What about adding the new Fremy extension? He updated it for 1.2 already. https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/18d7be0b-b130-4d5f-ad12-d1f233e4b1f5/fremys-extension-add-support-for-controls-drawings-code-evaluation-and-net-interop?forum=smallbasic

Also, do we have an info page or forum thread about the QR Code extension? That one deserves a blog post and to get bubbled up in our online content.

And... is the joystick extension anything above and beyond than what we get out of the LitDev extension?

And what is the FC extension?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 7:25 AM
    Owner
  • It already has the Fremy extension (called FC).  FC stands for Fremy Company, what Fremy called his extension.

The QR Extension was made by NaochanON.

The features of Joystick extension are similar to those in LDController.  People certainly use Joystick or have in the past so I added it.  Both use SlimDX with different extension API, but similar functionality.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 7:45 PM