Will Casablanca run with IIS Express? RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed the Windows Azure SDK and done many of the tutorials and they work well both locally and on the real Azure services.

I'm now about to embark on learning about Casablanca (in order to write C++ client side stuff connecting to Azure via REST) but I'm not sure if Casablanca works with IIS Express...?

If Azure (storage and compute) emulation works on my machine does that mean that Casablanca will work?

http://www.ransen.com Cad and Graphics software

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Owen,

I'm not sure I understand your first question here. I directed you to download and use WebPI because it is a very easy way to configure IIS correctly.

No installing the recommended configuration for IIS will not affect any of your previous Azure samples. If they used express they will continue to.

Steve

• Marked as answer by Owen Ransen Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:55 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Owen,

Glad to hear you're trying Casablanca out!

Technically IIS is only necessary if you are going to run an application in the Azure emulator as a WebRole. So even without IIS you can use almost all of the features in Casablanca. In regards to Casablanca working with IIS Express, currently we require the full IIS configuration. Support for IIS Express is something that is in our backlog to get to at some point.

Is working with IIS Express important to you? It is pretty easy to either manually install IIS or use Web PI.

Thanks, Steve

• Proposed as answer by Steven Gates Friday, October 26, 2012 5:56 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Technically IIS is only necessary if you are going to run an application in the Azure emulator as a WebRole. So even without IIS you can use almost all of the features in Casablanca. In regards to Casablanca working with IIS Express, currently we require the full IIS configuration. Support for IIS Express is something that is in our backlog to get to at some point.

Is working with IIS Express important to you? It is pretty easy to either manually install IIS or use Web PI.

Thanks, Steve

So, for example, if I put a WebRole in C# on Azure I don't need IIS, right?

I'm pretty confused as to whether IIS 7 is a "configuration" or a totally different new program compared to IIS Express. If you do these things every day it is probably obvious, if you're just starting it gets a bit difficult.

And WEB PI seems to duplicate IIS, though I may have misunderstood.

Since I already have the Azure SDK and the emulators working which would you recommend?

Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:39 AM
  • Hi Owen,

Whenever you are running in a WebRole in Azure it is using IIS, either express or the full version. This is both locally or when you actually deploy your application hosted in Azure.

Here is what I would recommend you to do:

1. Download and install WebPI if you don't have it already.
    2. Launch WebPI and install "IIS Recommended Configuration" if you don't have it already.

I also highly recommend you take a look at our tutorials and samples to get started with Casablanca. They come in a zip file with the MSI installation. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve 

Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:41 PM
  • Thanks for the pointers.

Would I download  WEB PI just to get to the IIS Recommended Configuration?

This would not affect my currently working Azure samples would it?

Friday, October 26, 2012 4:18 AM
  • Hi Owen,

I'm not sure I understand your first question here. I directed you to download and use WebPI because it is a very easy way to configure IIS correctly.

No installing the recommended configuration for IIS will not affect any of your previous Azure samples. If they used express they will continue to.

Steve

• Marked as answer by Owen Ransen Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:55 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Hi Owen,

Here is what I would recommend you to do:
    1. Download and install WebPI if you don't have it already.

I've done this, lets see if I can complete and understand the blackjack example!

Thanks

Monday, October 29, 2012 9:17 AM