Office Developer Tools not part of Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition, which was promised RRS feed

• Question

• According to the 2015 Offerings Chart, Office development is supported by Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition. There's no install media to be found for the Office Developer Tools. The tools are not listed as an installer feature for Community edition, but are for Professional edition. The foot-note for Community edition says, "Requires installation of the Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2015 that are available at RTM". It's now Visual Studio 2015 RTM.

Microsoft Support (800-936-5800) said a MS engineer could respond about this issue on this specific forum.

Can someone tell me why the Office Developer Tools aren't a feature of Community edition even though we were told they would be available for it now?

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:43 PM

Answers

• Hi JVimes3,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

I have reproduced your issue in mu side, I found that it is default there have no the Office/SharePoint template in this VS2015 Community like the following screen shot.

And I know that if you want to include this Office Developer Tools in this VS2015 Community, you will need to install this Office Developer Tools from this Web platform installer as you said.

However, according to the 2015 Offerings Chart, Office development is supported by Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition you provided. And you'd still like MS to include the Office Developer Tools as an optional feature in Community edition. I suggest you could submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

After you submit the feedback, you can post the link here which will be beneficial for other members with the similar issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Tina-Shi Friday, July 24, 2015 4:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by JVimes3 Friday, July 24, 2015 3:37 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2015 4:25 AM

All replies

• Found a link to the stand-alone installer on this thread. It seems to work. But I'd still like MS to include the Office Developer Tools as an optional feature in Community edition.

It's not, and that seems to cause a bug: Right-click a VSTO project in the Solution Explorer and select, "Install Missing Feature(s)". It tries to install the Office Developer Tools but fails with, "Invalid entries passed to /Filterfeatureselectiontree switch".

Community edition needs first-class support for Office Developer Tools. If an MS engineer is reading this, please log a bug ticket. Thanks.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 6:31 PM
  • Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.
    Since the issue is more relate to Visual Studio 2015, I'd like to move it to VS General forum.
    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 9:22 AM
  • I appreciate you mentioning that. I've seen an overwhelming number of posts saying "wrong section, I'm passing the buck". That's exactly why I mentioned, above, that I was directed to this section by a Microsoft Support agent. He talked me through the categories in real time. Both users and Microsoft Support cannot find the right sections. I think it's the sign of bigger problems:

• Overly-fine-grained categories (most definitely)
    • People would rather pass the buck than help (possibly)

Feel free to move this to a more appropriate category. But you'll be copy-pasting "wrong section" boilerplate indefinitely until the problems above are fixed. I'm curious if you'll do anything to fix them.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:48 PM
  • Hi JVimes3,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

I have reproduced your issue in mu side, I found that it is default there have no the Office/SharePoint template in this VS2015 Community like the following screen shot.

And I know that if you want to include this Office Developer Tools in this VS2015 Community, you will need to install this Office Developer Tools from this Web platform installer as you said.

However, according to the 2015 Offerings Chart, Office development is supported by Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition you provided. And you'd still like MS to include the Office Developer Tools as an optional feature in Community edition. I suggest you could submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

After you submit the feedback, you can post the link here which will be beneficial for other members with the similar issue.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Tina-Shi Friday, July 24, 2015 4:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by JVimes3 Friday, July 24, 2015 3:37 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2015 4:25 AM