SSL-Connections RRS feed

All replies

• IE uses WinInet's cache, which you can relocate in the control panel-?Internet Options.

I don't think you can deactivate the cache. IE uses it to store permanent session cookies and cache images, scripts and web pages.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Aendrew wrote:

i learned that in IE7 and IE8 the SSL-Sessions for the  InternetExplorer could be shared.
     (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread /fe2d2f6a-db87-4f1c-901c-12ba0eb502d3)

What exactly do you mean by "SSL-Connection", "SSL-Session", "instance"  and "shared"?

If by SSL-Connection you mean a TCP connection on which two parties have  performed SSL handshake and are now exchanging encrypted data, such a  connection cannot be "shared" in any meaningful sense of the word.  Except that, if a browser sends a second request to the same host soon  after the first, it is possible that the new request will be sent over  the same physical connection, for performance reasons. It's not clear  why anyone would care about that.

I'm not familiar with the term "SSL-Session".

Igor Tandetnik

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:14 PM
  • Hi thank you all for your answers.

Your right Igor.

I heared that a user does a handshake in ie1 and could use the application in ie2 without a new handshake.

As is understood you it is not possible. Right?

Aendrew

Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Aendrew wrote:

I heared that a user does a handshake in ie1 and could use the  application in ie2 without a new handshake.

What do you mean by "handshake" and "application" here? It doesn't sound  like you are talking about SSL handshake.

Two browser instances running in the same process (e.g. in two different  tabs under the same top-level window) may, potentially, reuse the same  connection, whether SSL-encrypted or otherwise, if they happen to send  requests to the same host and port one soon after the other. WinInet  maintains a cache of recent connections (assuming the client and the  server have negotiated keep-alive, keeping the connection open after the  request completes).

A connection cannot be shared between two separate processes.

Igor Tandetnik

Thursday, September 9, 2010 12:10 PM
  • My psychic powers tell me this whole line of questioning is, somehow, about users only having to enter a password once.
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Hi jeffdav,

yes, i would like to know how much times a user has to enter his credentials.

I heared that in ie8 it could be configured so that the ie uses the same ssl session (one login) for separate processes.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:29 PM