Development of Metro apps on Windows 7

Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to run Metro UI application on Windows 7?

Is it possible to develop Metro UI application on Windows 7? If not, then why it is not possible?

--

Kind regards,

Alexey Kisliy

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:03 PM

Answers

• You can develop desktop applications on Windows 7. As Andrei says, writing Windows Store apps requires Windows 8.

The Windows Store apps Forums are specifically about writing Windows Store apps.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Oleksii Kyslyi Monday, February 25, 2013 11:51 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 10:51 PM
    Owner
  • You can do so. The examples you cite are desktop apps.

You will likely need to write or style your own controls, although you might be able to find 3rd party controls in this style. I'd probably start with WPF and C#, since WPF is well designed for custom styling, but you can implement just about any design in any language.

For more details you'll need to narrow down your question and ask in a more appropriate forum.

-Rob

• Marked as answer by Oleksii Kyslyi Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:55 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:31 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I am assuming that you mean Windows Store apps, not desktop applications with Metro UI. In this case  the answer is no, it is not possible - you need Windows 8 to develop and run your apps.

http://lunarfrog.com/blog/

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:52 PM
  • No, exactly I do not need to develop Windows Store apps. I need to develop desktop applications with Metro UI, that will run on Windows 7.

How about this case?

--

Kind regards,

Alexey Kisliy

Monday, February 25, 2013 10:04 PM
  • You can develop desktop applications on Windows 7. As Andrei says, writing Windows Store apps requires Windows 8.

The Windows Store apps Forums are specifically about writing Windows Store apps.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Oleksii Kyslyi Monday, February 25, 2013 11:51 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 10:51 PM
    Owner
  • Could you, please, answer on my last question here. Which tools I have to use to develop desktop applications with METRO UI on Windows 7?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

--

Kind regards,

Alexey Kisliy

Monday, February 25, 2013 11:54 PM
  • What do you mean by "METRO UI"?

You can use whichever tools you would normally use to develop desktop apps. Frameworks such as WPF are designed for UI customization, but you can do some level of customization in just about anything.

If you want the Windows Store app controls then Microsoft provides them only for Windows Store apps.

--Rob

Monday, February 25, 2013 11:58 PM
    Owner
  • Under "METRO UI" I mean Metro user style applications - GUI like Windows Phone has and Visual Studio 2012, and Microsoft office 2013.

Is it possible to develop such kind of interface on Windows 7 in Visual Studio 2010 with C++? If not, then with which tools and languages I can develop this Metro user style interface of desktop application? Or this kind of interface can be developed only with Windows Stor app controls and therefore it can be developed only on Windows 8?

--

Kind regards,

Alexey Kisliy

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Actually I need to simulate Metro user style in my desktop application for Windows 7.

--

Kind regards,

Alexey Kisliy

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:24 AM
  • You can do so. The examples you cite are desktop apps.

You will likely need to write or style your own controls, although you might be able to find 3rd party controls in this style. I'd probably start with WPF and C#, since WPF is well designed for custom styling, but you can implement just about any design in any language.

For more details you'll need to narrow down your question and ask in a more appropriate forum.

-Rob

• Marked as answer by Oleksii Kyslyi Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:55 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:31 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you, Rob. It is clear now.

--

Kind regards,

Alexey Kisliy

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:55 AM