none
Windows 7 Embedded - Single Image across multiple hardware platforms RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I am looking for some guidance on a situation I am having.

I need to build a Windows 7 Embedded image to use on multiple types of computers (specifically:  HP 8000 Elite, HP dc7900/7700/5100/d530, Dell Optiplex GX260/240).

I need one image to deploy on all of these, which I will capture/deploy with Altiris.  That won't be an issue.

The main issue is making the image compatible with all the units (making drivers available IN the image so when imaged, the image loads the drivers for the unit automatically).  I want to load the image on a unit and that's it.

I see many posts/etc. out there on the internet but I'm not finding what I need.  I am sure this is possible.  Any help/insight/etc. would be magnificent. 

Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:40 PM

All replies

• This particular forum is for POSReady. Windows 7 Embedded aka WES 7 has other forums to post to.

It is technically possible to build a one size image fits all. The HAL implementation starting with Vista makes this possible, but the issue is driver conflicts. You can build a base image, sysprep the image, and capture it to a WIM file using ImageX. Then there are a couple of methods to add drivers

1. Inject them into a WIM image using DISM

2. Place the drivers in a folder and modify the driver search in the registry to look in the folder- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753716.aspx

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:10 PM