Installing Win8 on VirtualBox problem extracting files

Question

• Hi all,

I followed instructions on how to install WIndows 8 Previewer 64 with Developer tools on VirtualBox - see:http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-install-windows-8-on-virtualbox

I run this on a Vista64 host with 8GB of ram.  What happens is that during the install it stops when extracting the files.  Yesterday it went to 98% and sat there for about an hour.  I stopped it, deleted the VM and started over.  It got to 99% and then it stopped.  I left it overnight and it was still stitting at 99% this am.

I dedicated 1CPU and 3GB of ram to the VM and I also created a 30GB dedicated disk for it, using the default VB drive type. 

I have used VMWare for various OS' on that same machine with zero problems so I KNOW It works very well with VMs.  I just attended a .NET UG meeting in Redmond a week ago where Doug Seven was showing us Win8 and I can't wait to get my fingers cut;)

HELP!!!:)  Please, any suggestions???

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson, Port Angeles

Arnor Baldvinsson
    Monday, October 17, 2011 4:32 PM

Answers

• I run this on a Vista64 host with 8GB of ram.  What happens is that during the install it stops when extracting the files.  Yesterday it went to 98% and sat there for about an hour.  I stopped it, deleted the VM and started over.  It got to 99% and then it stopped.  I left it overnight and it was still stitting at 99% this am.

Have you verified the ISO is not corrupt? Check the SHA1 of your ISO and compare it to the one listed on the Windows 8 Developer Preview download page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx

Also, if you burned a DVD it may have errors - try burning it again, or installing directly from the ISO file.

I dedicated 1CPU and 3GB of ram to the VM and I also created a 30GB dedicated disk for it

That more then meets the requirements, you can install it in Virtual Box with 1GB RAM and a 20GB hard drive.

I have used VMWare for various OS' on that same machine with zero problems

If you want, Windows 8 can also be installed using VMWare.

How To Install Windows 8 On VMware:
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-8-on-vmware-virtual-machine/

From the main download page:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Monday, October 17, 2011 5:12 PM

All replies

• Try with a larger partition, I used 35 GBs when I tried in Virtual BOX and it worked.

If you are installing from .ISO image, try burning to a blank DVD and installing from that, the input out performance of installing from disk might be affecting the installation.

Please understand, its a Developer Preview, so some things might not work right at this time.

If you are really itching to try it, you could setup a partition and boot from the Developer preview disc and install to that partition. Thats my primary method of running it now and it works really great. Pretty stable for a preview.

Edit: notice you mentioned VMWare, if you are running a 7x version of VMware, its not compatible with it.

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin | Notebooks | Microsoft MVP

• Edited by Andre Da CostaMVP Monday, October 17, 2011 4:44 PM Additional information
    Monday, October 17, 2011 4:42 PM
  • I run this on a Vista64 host with 8GB of ram.  What happens is that during the install it stops when extracting the files.  Yesterday it went to 98% and sat there for about an hour.  I stopped it, deleted the VM and started over.  It got to 99% and then it stopped.  I left it overnight and it was still stitting at 99% this am.

Have you verified the ISO is not corrupt? Check the SHA1 of your ISO and compare it to the one listed on the Windows 8 Developer Preview download page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx

Also, if you burned a DVD it may have errors - try burning it again, or installing directly from the ISO file.

I dedicated 1CPU and 3GB of ram to the VM and I also created a 30GB dedicated disk for it

That more then meets the requirements, you can install it in Virtual Box with 1GB RAM and a 20GB hard drive.

I have used VMWare for various OS' on that same machine with zero problems

If you want, Windows 8 can also be installed using VMWare.

How To Install Windows 8 On VMware:
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-8-on-vmware-virtual-machine/

From the main download page:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Monday, October 17, 2011 5:12 PM