none
Homework Help! Can't see textwindow? RRS feed

• Question

• I am a brand newbie... I am trying to use the introduction to small basic tutorial. Here's the problem: Everytime I try to run (f5) the "Hello World" program the "overlay" popsup saying that my program is running, but I can't see the text box. Then when it closes my Norton antivirus popsup saying it has removed a threat, (tmp256.tmp.exe). Could this be preventing me from seeing the textwindow? Please Help! I've got homework due in a few days. Thanks!
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:58 AM

Answers

• Hello! I also have this problem once in a while, as I use Norton too. There are two ways to solve this problem.

1. I think it might help to save your program, then run.

2. You can turn off Norton Antivirus for a bit. If you use Norton 360 then:

1. Open up Norton360 (type name in start menu, or other)

2. Click the text at the top of the window, which says "Settings"

3. There should be something at the left, that says "Antivirus", click that (must be an administrator)

4. You can change the slider, so you can turn on and off Sonar Protection

5. Click "Apply"/"Ok", and you can set the time for it to turn off.

Then that should do it. You should be able to run your projects properly while Sonar protection is off.

NOTE!!!!: Take some extra measures to make sure that your computer is safe while Sonar Protection is off.

Please respond back if this does not work for you (It does for me).

~~AirWaves!!~~
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:52 AM
  • I use Microsoft's Security Essentials.  It is free and can be downloaded @ http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/security_essentials/default.aspx 

Bob Jones
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 1:04 AM

All replies

• Hello! I also have this problem once in a while, as I use Norton too. There are two ways to solve this problem.

1. I think it might help to save your program, then run.

2. You can turn off Norton Antivirus for a bit. If you use Norton 360 then:

1. Open up Norton360 (type name in start menu, or other)

2. Click the text at the top of the window, which says "Settings"

3. There should be something at the left, that says "Antivirus", click that (must be an administrator)

4. You can change the slider, so you can turn on and off Sonar Protection

5. Click "Apply"/"Ok", and you can set the time for it to turn off.

Then that should do it. You should be able to run your projects properly while Sonar protection is off.

NOTE!!!!: Take some extra measures to make sure that your computer is safe while Sonar Protection is off.

Please respond back if this does not work for you (It does for me).

~~AirWaves!!~~
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:52 AM
  • Thanks you so much for getting back to me so quickly! I did just what you said and disabled the Sonar part of my Norton and was able to see the text box! Do you have any recomendations of what I should be doing to protect my computer while Sonar is not working? 

Thanks again!

Phusilly 

Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Well, there may be another computer protecting software out there for you to use, which would let you run your programs. But until you find one, you can do these things while Norton is off:

1. Don't download any software

2. Don't run any files you don't know for sure is not a virus.

~~AirWaves!!~~
    Friday, July 8, 2011 4:40 AM
  • I use Microsoft's Security Essentials.  It is free and can be downloaded @ http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/security_essentials/default.aspx 

Bob Jones
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 1:04 AM