Start Screen: Tile Tooltips

General discussion

• I think it would be useful if tiles in the new Start Screen would have tooltips. For desktop applications installed in the old "start menu", the tooltip of an application tile should indicate at least the previously available hierarchical location in the old "start menu" (e.g. [Manufacturer] / [ProductName] / [Application name]) and maybe also its original description (such as "Launches ...").

Sorin Dolha, DlhSoft
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:29 PM

All replies

• I was going to ask about this too. Whatever happened Microsoft to the tooltips shown for shortcut in the Start Menu? Why doesn't the Start Screen show them?
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Hi Sorin,

Thanks for trying out the developer preview and your feedback! Currently there are tooltips but they show up conditionally and only when the application name is truncated to show the complete name. We'll take your feedback into account.

Thanks!

Nazia

Monday, October 17, 2011 6:54 PM
  • The Start Menu shows tooltips from the shortcut (LNK file's) comment field and for folders, it shows tooltips defined in desktop.ini. Start Screen should show them likewise.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:53 AM
  • OK, it's possible that I haven't seen a tooltip on some application because description (comment) field was empty.

However, let's assume we have an old application from Microsoft that installs two executable items in old Start menu / Manufacturer / Application: one icon is named Application and one is named Help. In Start screen of Windows 8, I would see two icons (tiles): Application and Help. I wouldn't get information about Manufacturer, and on Help, I wouldn't know (unless comment field is set to see a tooltip) that it's Help for that specific Application. I might be confused.

So I think the tooltips should also present the old Start menu path, when appropriate, on application tiles.

What do you think?

Sorin Dolha, DlhSoft
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:01 AM