Debugger Canvas - Blank Page RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When I start debugging, I can see the Debugger Canvas tab, but its all blank, although the debugger is hitting the break point.

Any help ?

Regards

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:18 AM

All replies

• Bill, I was having the same problem.  However I solved it by closing all documents before running the debugger (using the Window->Close All Documents menu command).

If you start the debugger without any code tabs open a Debugger Canvas will be opened with a code bubble for the method where your breakpoint is as expected.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Hi Bill, thanks for reporting this bug.  Does Mark's thread accurately describe your issue?  And does his workaround of closing all documents before running the debugger work for you?

Kael Rowan | Research Software Design Engineer | Human Interactions in Programming | Microsoft Research
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:10 PM
  • Bill,

Good bug! Thanks for reporting. I've been able to repro it when opening a project and then starting debugging without making any changes to the code. A workaround that seems to work for me, is to rebuild the solution. It should be a one time thing, where the solution needs to be rebuilt on a machine before Debugger Canvas can work correctly on it. Let us know if the problem persists, even after rebuilding.

Thanks, --Jens

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:58 PM
  • i am having the same issue, nothing on the canvas. closing windows didnt help.

i closed vs, reopend, rebuilt solution, and now im getting all the code in the bubble.

CJ
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Hi there,

i'm currently having a little problem with Debugger Canvas.

It's not showing a single canvas (settings are correct).

I tried to close all documents like described above,
    i changed some code, i rebuilt the solution, restarted vs, restarted
    the whole computer --> Nothing helped.

Even trying to manually open a new canvas doesn't show anything.

Some other guys are having the same problem - see right here:
    http://www.mycsharp.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=96264

About my System:
    Windows 7 x64, Visual Studio Ultimate 2010  SP1 (German).

Would be nice if it could work because the video really excited me -
    it seem's like a very cool way to debug without losing the "focus".

--> I gues it would be cool to have it "built-in" in future releases...

Best Regards

Achim

Friday, June 17, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Hi Achim,

Thanks for letting us know! Let me see if I understand correctly:

- The extension installed witout errors

- No errors when opening VS

- You have the Debug:Debugger Canvas menu

- You're not seeing any canvas show up at all, not even a blank one (?)

- According to the thread, which I used my very limited German from grammar school and Derrick on TV in the 70s to read :-) it seems like others (or maybe all) users are having this problem with German VS.

- I assume you're running German Windows 7 as well?

Let me know if this is correct. This is the first time I've heard of such severe symptoms, so i fear that it might be related to the langauge. I can try to set up a German machine on my end next week to verify.

Thanks!

--Jens

Friday, June 17, 2011 9:26 PM
  • I think you are correct Jens. I'm having the same problem as Achim does, except I'm running an English version of Windows 7 (with the Spanish Languaje Pack installed) and Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate (Spanish).

Regards

Christian

Saturday, June 18, 2011 4:17 AM
  • Hi Jens,

thanks for your reply.

You are right in all points:
    I had no problem with the installation

I don't get any error on starting VS

I have the Debugger Canvas menu and it's setting are set to automatically use Debugger Canvas for debugging

And - even if i'm trying to manually open a canvas via Debug > Debugger Canvas > Create New Canvas --> Nothing ever happens.

For the german thread:
    Three people - including me - complained about not getting anything to work.

The rest seems to have only viewed videos - or at least did not complain.

However - that last post of dN!3L is indicating that Debugger Canvas is not the first AddIn experiencing
    problems with german vs - althoug i don't know any AddIn having the same problem - which is unspectactular since
    the only other AddIn's i currently have installed are 'AnkhSVN' and 'GhostDoc' (last one installed after Debugger Canvas)

And yes - i'm currently running Windows 7 in a german version (Ultimate as well if this is relevant).

Best regards

Achim

Saturday, June 18, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Any news on this?

I really would like to use this in a german VS.NET Ultimate ;-) 
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Hi,

as stated Here: No German VS working there's nothing new.

But: They're looking for it.

Best Regards

Achim

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Hi Archim,

Thanks for the added detail. I created a German Windows machine with German VS, and unfortunately I can confirm that Debugger Canvas does not work in that configuration. The behavior is exactly as you describe, the tool will install and will show up on the menu, but no canvas can be created.

I apologize for the inconvenience. We'll look into the cause of this and post back here on the forum if we're able to fix it.

Christian, thanks for reporting that this is a problem with Spanish OS and VS as well. I'd like to hear if there's any localized versions of VS where we DO work, by the way.

Thanks!

--Jens

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:26 PM