When I ask a question here, how do I avoid getting a blank line after every CR? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Whenever I type anything into a question on this forum, the system keeps inserting an extra blank line between every line. How do I keep it from doing that?

See, I just hit CR once. But it inserted an extra blank line between this one and the one above.

Usually I hit CR twice to space one paragraph from the next (I just did that before this line). But the system then gives me THREE blank lines!

How do I get it to stop "helping" me?

• Changed type Damon Zheng Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:15 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:59 AM

All replies

• More or less you don't.  The editor for these forums is pretty much stuck on lousy.  You might have some luck writing your response in WordPad and pasting

abc
    asdf
    asdf
    asdf
    asdf
    asdf

But otherwise you live with the miserable editor we have

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:25 AM
  • SimonRev wrote:

More or less you don't. The editor for these forums is pretty much  stuck on lousy. You might have some luck writing your response
    in WordPad and pasting

May I suggest an alternative:

http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

It's an NNTP-to-forums bridge (NNTP also known as "newsgroups"). If it  weren't for this, I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't touch these forums' web  interface with a 10-foot pole. I'm a bit old-school this way.

As a test, let me
    type
    a few
    lines.

Igor Tandetnik

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:38 AM
  • Fyi, they aren't blank lines, they're paragraph breaks, and the style sheet for this website is adding the extra vertical space.

Type your post entirely with the annoying blank lines.  Before submitting, click the HTML button.  Search and replace </p><p> with <br/>.  Click Update.  Then Submit.

On the other hand, maybe don't fight the man.  ;)

EDIT:  Barry-Schwarz has the much better idea that that Shift+Enter inserts a <br> rather than a <p>.  I'm going with the Shift+Enter approach myself.  Leave manual HTML editing for a last resort.  Thanks, Barry-Schwarz!
    • Edited by Wyck Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:23 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:20 AM
  • If you want to insert a manual line break (as opposed to the paragraph break generated by Enter), try using shift-Enter.  It works on my system using IE 8.
    I just used it here.
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:27 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for posting in this forum.

According to your description, your issue is about the forum's editor. I have raise this question in the Forums Issues. There might be some experts specific to your issue.

Furthermore, I would like to change the thread type to "General Discussion", because this forum is for Visual C++ questions.

Thanks for your understanding.

Damon Zheng [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:14 AM