System.OutOfMemoryException RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem "Exception System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown"?  I encountered this problem a great deal while working in Expression Blend 3 and figured there might have been some shortcomings so as a work around to flush out the memory issues under large projects I would close my entire project and Expression Blend and it seemed to of temporarily solve matters.  I proceeded with this route until Expression Studio Ultimate 4 was released then upgraded for its new features; however, I had also hoped for the memory exception problem to disappear consequently, no such luck every 10 builds and or debug sessions Expression Blend 4 is rendered useless and the larger a project is the more frequent it occurs.

This machine just replace an older work station that was moved down to a test box.

Existing Software swapped to this new Work Station:

1.)     Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended which was allocated its own Scratch and Virtual disk

2.)     Visual Studio 2008 and 2010

3.)    A few other graphic software applications

4.)    Video editing software such as Vegas Movie Studio Platinum

5.)    Expression Blend 3 and now Expression Blend 4 Ultimate

Items of most importance Under the hood it holds 6 SSDs 3 (160 GB) 1 (128 GB) and 2 (60 GB) for backup drives 6 SATA 1TB

Memory 8 GB 1333 Kingston Ram

before it held Corsair 8 GB 1333 Ram

OS Windows 7 Ultimate

Memory change came as a test to see if that would resolve matters kind of dumb after thinking about the makeup of the entire application and comparing it to how Adobe Photoshop handles virtual memory usage.

Can anyone provide a hot fix for this, a resolution would be greatly appreciated, I have grown to really enjoy development in the Expression Blend working with Silverlight and WPF. 

Sunday, November 7, 2010 3:16 PM

All replies

• I'm not an expert in this area, but from what I understand if you have large assemblies being built on each build, this can be a problem. I believe it has to do with the way .Net resolves assemblies. How big are the assemblies being built on each build? Can you reduce the size by removing large assets such as images or other items?
    Monday, November 8, 2010 2:03 PM