Dimension Name Column Format Property SSAS 2008R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have tried entering Date forms  into the 'Format' property underneath the 'Name Column' property for a specific attribute within a dimension and it never seems to change the output . It always shows it in WChar Format. I need to have the Date in Date format when  I connect the Cube in Excel 2010 and browse the data.

Please let me know in case of more information needed.

Thanks, Tanmoy Santra

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:21 PM

All replies

• Tanmoy,

The common approach to customize the display format for an attribute is to create a formatted value as a named column on the dimension within the DSV (e.g. "convert(varchar, [DateAsDateTime], 101)"), and then in your dimension designer, change the "NameColumn" property to the named column that you created in the DSV.

For example, you might end up with a design like this:

Rob Kerr SQL Server MVP CTO, BlueGranite

• Proposed as answer by Lola Wang Monday, May 21, 2012 4:10 AM
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:52 AM
  • Can anybody explain this highlighted field I actually need to change the DataType of Name column to get the format in Excel. For changing the DataType to "Date" and also Format . Also what is the use of Value Column. When I tried to modify Name Column Format its give Error saying it should be Wchar .

Thanks, Tanmoy Santra

Friday, May 25, 2012 6:11 AM
  • Can anybody explain this highlighted field I actually need to change the DataType of Name column to get the format in Excel. For changing the DataType to "Date" and also Format . Also what is the use of Value Column. When I tried to modify Name Column Format its give Error saying it should be Wchar .

Thanks, Tanmoy Santra

Thanks, Tanmoy Santra

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:55 PM