Metadata in WCF RRS feed

• Question

• User832284694 posted

Hi,

We have a wcf service which is deployed. When I took the config file from the server and replace code of config file with code of server config, my wcf service was not running and through error saying metadata is disable however when I hit the service in brower, service is running fine. When I comare two config (Local and Server) I found that server config does not have metadata enable. So my question is how the service is running when its matadata is disble ?

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:48 AM

Answers

• User-417640953 posted

So my question is how the service is running when its matadata is disble ?

Hi rbodhale,

Thanks for your post.

As known that "The Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) provides an infrastructure for exporting, publishing,

retrieving, and importing service metadata. WCF services use metadata to describe how to interact with the service's endpoints

so that tools, such as Svcutil.exe, can automatically generate client code for accessing the service."

So the metadata is just used for describing our wcf service and how to access it. If we have known how to call the wcf service such as we have known

the ABC of wcf service, then we need not to get metadata and call it directly.

As for why your wcf service running fine in the browser, I think you make the wcf rest morel service and it does not need metadata due to it is

not based on the soap protocol.

Similar issues, you can follow it below.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4648129/wcf-are-metadata-required-to-consume-wcf-service

Hope this helps, thanks.

Best Regards!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 1:50 AM