none
Kinect SDK RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

I want to track some objects using Kinect, but my biggest problem is I don't know which library is better to use? (Microsoft SDK, openCV, ...)

I studied about these different SDK's and understood Microsoft SDK is better to use for body not other objects but I am not sure if this is true or not.

Any help would be appreciated,

Kind Regards,

Fariba

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:25 PM

All replies

• you an track inanimate objects using kinect sdk but the functionality isnt built in right now at the moment so you would have to code the formulas yourself and openCV was intels graphics technology open source project if I remember right so it probably wouldnt help with tracking objects but you could identify the object with the kinect depth stream by doing manipulation but somewhere it requires bit manipulation which Im not familar with. Some people have implemented finger tracking but usually go through all the points of the finger they plan on tracking using the depth stream.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Is there any other library that I can use much easily for tracking objects?

How about openNi, openKinect?

Is there any other library that I can use but do not know?

• Edited by Frb_yoo Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:08 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:07 AM
  • Try to have look on

- OpenNI

OpenNI Concepts

OpenNI and Kinect

- OpenCV

Introduction to OpenCV

Tutorials

Thanks,
    MOHAMED A. SAKR | Software Development Lead Engineer | EgyptNetwork
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members. Also try to Vote as Helpful

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:22 AM
  • Try looking at depth stream tutorials but static objects can be tracked with kinect sdk because its been done before but you need some math skills to do it and know a little bit about the bits in depth stream because the bits identify the static or other object your trying to track. But I would guess I would myself color code the object once indentified with certain colored bits would help because then tracking the static object woud be easier because you indentified it by a certain color same as human skeleton tracking except you have code to track the object you coded yourself.

So yes its possible with kinect sdk but requires a little knowledge about the depth stream and bit manipulation.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

• Proposed as answer by The Thinker Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:08 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:08 PM