How do i use "Remote Desktop" in Windows Developer Preview?

Answers

• You cannot Remote Desktop into a Vista or Windows 7 Home Premium machine (you need Professional or Ultimate). But you should be able to Remote Desktop from such a machine into the Developer Version of Windows 8.

I was able to Remote Desktop from my HTPC (which is actually running Windows 7 Ultimate) into Windows 8, and thereby see the Metro interface on my TV!

Please change the type of your post to Ask a Question.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:55 PM

All replies

• How do I use this app, I don't understand it, but it sounds very important.
    If you have another Windows computer on the local network in your home, you can configure it to allow Remote Desktop connections, and then type its name (or local IP address) in the connection field in the Remote Desktop application on Windows 8. You can then log into the other computer and operate it just as you would directly.

This Metro version of Remote Desktop works much the same as the Desktop one, except that it seems to be able to make only one connection at a time.

If you want to access a computer outside your local network, the firewall on the network of the other computer must be configured to accept Remote Desktop connections. If you want a computer in your home to accept remote Desktop connections from the internet, you need to modify your router settings.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:34 AM
  • I still would like some help with it, because I dont understand, i have and still use LogMeIn. Can you explain it more?

-Chase Croley

Monday, October 03, 2011 4:20 PM
  • Hey Chase,

LogMeIn is a third party program that provides remote access to computers that you have it configured for. Remote Desktop is built into Windows Developer Preview (and Windows 7, Windows Vista, Etc.) to allow access to your computer over a local network or through the Internet and your firewall if your router/firewall is correctly configured.

Say you have two computers on your local network that are named Computer1 and Computer2. If you are on Computer1 and you want to remote into Computer2 you would open Remote Desktop and type the name of the computer you want to connect to (Computer2). Remote Desktop will then connect with that computer and prompt you for a log in username/password. Once you have entered that information you will be remotely connected to Computer2.

To enable remote access on a computer:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Remote Desktop
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Allow remote access to your computer

In the System Properties you will be able to enable to choose if you want to allow Remote Desktop connections and specify what level of connections your computer will require.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Thanks Steven, I have tried to set it up and use a Windows Vista Home Premium Computer to use to connect into and from by using the IP but i still can't get it:( I guess I could use an invitation file. by using my email. Can i even use Windows 8 to connect into Vista. or is it because it has Home Premium?

-Chase Croley
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:10 PM
  • You cannot Remote Desktop into a Vista or Windows 7 Home Premium machine (you need Professional or Ultimate). But you should be able to Remote Desktop from such a machine into the Developer Version of Windows 8.

I was able to Remote Desktop from my HTPC (which is actually running Windows 7 Ultimate) into Windows 8, and thereby see the Metro interface on my TV!

Please change the type of your post to Ask a Question.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Hey David,

I've taken care of changing the thread to a question type.

Steven
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 1:42 AM