Possible hosting site for Club Starter Kit RRS feed

• Question

• User-445758669 posted

I thought I had found a hosting site that would allow the Club Starter Kit to FTP'd, almost as is, and run using SQL Server 2005 Express.  This host created a subdomain for me, gave me a login and password and I thought I was in business.  I had some problems with my connection string in web.config and the support people were initially prompt with some support help.  I ftp'd my .mdf files to the app_data folder under the www folder they made for me and basically I thought I was in business.  My Club site came up and I was pretty happy. But when I tried to login or create a new user I got an error message which I emailed to the support people and they basically stopped responding to my requests for help.  And now I can't even ftp a new web.config file to the site, so I am dead in the water.

These guys have not charged me anything so I can't complain there, but I do have a lot of time invested and I am really disappointed that they seem to have dropped the support ball and don't seem to care.

I really think that if they would get their act together on this they could really pick up alot of business from people who want to use the starter kits but don't want to convert everything to SQL Server.

They also have very good hosting prices.  A simple site, that gives you SQL Server 2005 Express capabilities is only about $4.00 per month and no setup fees.

If anyone else is interested in this kind of hosting site you might want to go there, http://www.quantasoft.sk/ and leave them an email telling them you think they have a good idea about hosting SQL Server 2005 Express DBs and would be interested in using their hosting services but you would need better support then what is being reported in the forums on www.asp.net.

It could be that if enough of us are interested they might rethink their support policies and we might have a really good hosting site for the various Starter Kits.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:01 PM

All replies

• User1008851990 posted

i suffered exactly the same problem actually, although I couldnt ftp my club.mdf file anymore.

shame really ,as they were very keen to help to start with, and I just assumed that my ftp engine was faulty until reading this.  I found a good place to host, although they are quite particular with their granting of space - try: aspspider.net

they've been good to me so far, and is far less 'fingers crossed' from a free hoster than I've experienced in the past.

hope this helps.

Monday, April 10, 2006 10:54 AM
  • User-1476513399 posted

http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/directory/Default.aspx

Everyone wants something for nothing ... and you generally get what you pay for.

Monday, April 10, 2006 3:21 PM
  • User-445758669 posted

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't trying to get something for nothing.  I had even told the hosting people that I was more than happy to pay for the service and I couldn't even get a quote back from them.  I told them I eventually wanted to move my 12 domains from the 3 hosting companies I was using to one but I was looking for service and support.

Godaddy doesn't have the greatest service and support but it's better than any I have run into so far.  Their biggest problem is their sales people aren't knowledgeable enough to configure a non-standard hosting service and even if you try to get a quote on a standard package they will screw it up and then have to start quoting you higher prices because they left something out.  You can even get them to send you an email of their quote and if they made a mistake no one at GoDaddy will honor it.

As for aspspider.net, I tried to join the group but I could never get a validation code sent back to me.  I think they must have some problems.

I finally purchased a Virtual Dedicated Server product from Godaddy and I am now in the process of getting everything set up. 

Maybe you can get good service and support if you pay over $100.00+ per month, I really don't know but I don't want to take the gamble  But I have found most hosting companies don't want to pay much attention to the small accounts and they want you to take their word (via email) they will take care of you.

Monday, April 10, 2006 7:53 PM
  • User-1476513399 posted

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't trying to get something for nothing.  I had even told the hosting people that I was more than happy to pay for the service and I couldn't even get a quote back from them.  I told them I eventually wanted to move my 12 domains from the 3 hosting companies I was using to one but I was looking for service and support ..... >>>>>

Well ... I wasn't specifically referring to You re getting something for nothing ... it was just a general statement ... based on a lot of what I see in this forum.

OK ... I called and/or email most every ISP (USA only) on the list I posted that is supposedly hosting SQL2005 (non-express).  I found only two which are guaranteeing 24x7x365 PHONE tech support with an English speaking person without a hard to understand dialect.  I've had it with 'email ticket' based tech support!!! These two are:

http://www.hostmysite.com/  ... based in Delaware ... and .... http://www.crystaltech.com ... based in Arizona.  I tried calling both about 1 am (PST) ... and both answered with a live person!

I have already tried http://www.webhost4life.com/ ... close by up in LA ... even went to their location ... but it turned out their email ticket based support was terrible, so I cancelled.  Wherein they are very low cost and you get two MDF's, the support sucks - as far as I'm concerned.

I am going to try Crystal Tech ... since they are in the same time Zone (AZ) as San Diego.

<>

Monday, April 10, 2006 8:31 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

I am using DotNetPark.com for my Personal Site Starter Kit... www.angeloabruzzese.com

They had a few hickups at first when 2.0 was officialy released but all in all the site is now fairly stable and the price is cheap.

Monday, April 10, 2006 11:28 PM
  • User-445758669 posted

I appreciate the hosting info you supplied.  I also agree with you concerning the support pre-requisites.  Email and Trouble Tickets do not work for me either. 

I called www.hostmysite.com and they do have a live person and he was very helpful.  However, their Virtual Dedicated Hosting is Linux based only.  They can handel SQL 2005 but not in the way I was hoping.  I am wanting to use the Club starter kits by being able to create what I want on my local machine using VWD and then FTP the folder, subfolders and mdf files to the site and using them in that way, with the only changes possibly being made in the web.config file.  But I can't find any hosting sites that can do that (the one in Slovakia would supposedly do that but then they stopped emailing me when I couldn't get the connection string to work properly).

If I find some place that will work I'll let it be known in this forum.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:37 PM
  • User-1476513399 posted

I appreciate the hosting info you supplied.  I also agree with you concerning the support pre-requisites.  Email and Trouble Tickets do not work for me either. 

I called www.hostmysite.com and they do have a live person and he was very helpful.  However, their Virtual Dedicated Hosting is Linux based only.  They can handel SQL 2005 but not in the way I was hoping.  I am wanting to use the Club starter kits by being able to create what I want on my local machine using VWD and then FTP the folder, subfolders and mdf files to the site and using them in that way, with the only changes possibly being made in the web.config file.  But I can't find any hosting sites that can do that (the one in Slovakia would supposedly do that but then they stopped emailing me when I couldn't get the connection string to work properly).

If I find some place that will work I'll let it be known in this forum.

Well, same here ... I was hoping to find a hoster wherein I could - either using their control panel or SQL Management Studio 2005 ...   Attach/Detach MDF's.  However, of the 12 or so I have contacted, none are allowing this to be done in a Shared hosting environment ... and I guess I can kind of see why - security reasons.  Since I will initially be making a LOT of changes for a while, I was hoping to able to attach/detach without intervention from the ISP. 

However, a couple of ISP of pointed out a couple of reasonable work arounds, one being that if I upload and MDF to some sub directory, then they will grab it and replace the 'live' one, ie do the detach / attach for free.  But, probably not more than once/day.  Another ISP suggested generating  changes scripts for table/store procedures/queries etc ... and the run them against the live MDF, which I guess is reasonable. 

My problem is that ... I am not (yet) that familiar with SQL and all the ins and outs and tricks ... so I am at a slight disadvantage.  Overall I'm guessing it's not a big deal.

However ... phone support IS a big deal.  Funny ... some of these Hosting sites do not have ANY phone number you can call for anything!! I call that vapor ether hosting!!!

<>

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:31 PM
  • User1052258516 posted

Well, same here ... I was hoping to find a hoster wherein I could - either using their control panel or SQL Management Studio 2005 ...   Attach/Detach MDF's.  However, of the 12 or so I have contacted, none are allowing this to be done in a Shared hosting environment ... and I guess I can kind of see why - security reasons.  Since I will initially be making a LOT of changes for a while, I was hoping to able to attach/detach without intervention from the ISP. 

However, a couple of ISP of pointed out a couple of reasonable work arounds, one being that if I upload and MDF to some sub directory, then they will grab it and replace the 'live' one, ie do the detach / attach for free.  But, probably not more than once/day.  Another ISP suggested generating  changes scripts for table/store procedures/queries etc ... and the run them against the live MDF, which I guess is reasonable. 

My problem is that ... I am not (yet) that familiar with SQL and all the ins and outs and tricks ... so I am at a slight disadvantage.  Overall I'm guessing it's not a big deal.

However ... phone support IS a big deal.  Funny ... some of these Hosting sites do not have ANY phone number you can call for anything!! I call that vapor ether hosting!!!

<>

Rather than doing the mdf attach/detach what about asking them if they support backup/restore.  As they have said the mdf attach/detach requires a certain admin privilege at the server level something that in a shared hosting environment you will never get.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I usually backup the live database restore locally then do all of my changes creating change scripts each time.  I then create data insert / update / delete scripts as I need them or I ftp the backup to a certain ftp site and restore from there.  I know webhost4life does this as I am a client of there’s<o:p></o:p>

As for phone tech support it’s a dying breed and it’s overrated.  You usually get some poor Joe who talks to you like you are an imbecile and they think that they are gods, especially if the hosting company gets large and has a huge client base.  I have been pretty happy so far with webhost4life as I rarely have ever needed to use support.  But then I have been doing various forms of web development for several years now and I know when it’s my issue verses the hosting companies issue.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 11:13 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

I have been around the block so to speak with hosting companys.

1. Interland: Great company I used them for 3 years with asp.net1.1. the reason I left was they had no plans to offer asp.net 2.0 Rating 7

2. First I tried Godaddy: My personal feelings is you have to be on something to use them for an ASP application. Rating 0

3. Then I tried Crystal Tech: Great company with competitive pricing would still be with them if I had not found  WebHost4Life. Rating 10

4. Now Using WebHost4Life: They offer a better package for less money then Crystal Tech. Money I believe is an issue for most, but the fact they offer 2 sql databases and the site shares the total disk space with the database was the main driving point for the switch.  I am now able to run a live site and a development site and do not have to worry about sql disk space.  There control panel is easy to use and I had my initial site up whithin an hour. I just recently put there ticket system to the test and happy to say they were very quik in there response both times.

There were others I have contacted or tried, either they were not responsive or they were just middle of the road.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:50 AM