Overall User Experience with Azure RRS feed

• Question

• I must comment on my overall experience with Azure.  I created a Free Account on Azure two days ago.  They gave me $200 in credit.  I created one SQL Server database with the Adventure Works sample.  I queried the database 3 times.  Two days later, and I have apparently used $100 worth of services!!!  I find this outrageous.  $50 a day equates to $1500 a month!  And I didn't even use the database!  

Does Microsoft really think it can win over new customers with such a business model.  I barely touched the database and it cost $100.  Speaking as a 20 year data veteran who was considering bringing Azure into a major US healthcare/pharma corporation, I need a lot more time to evaluate the overall Azure experience... much more time than $200 in credit will provide me.  In addition, I can't even imagine the costs involved if we were to use this for production systems. 

As if the exorbitant costs and lack of evaluation period wasn't enough to drive me away after just two days, I have been trying to deploy an Azure Analysis Services server for the past day.  This feature is what recently drew my attention to Azure.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to successfully deploy Azure Analysis Services.  It has failed time and time again... which is very frustrating.  So either I am doing something wrong... or this product has problems.

On a positive note, I find the Azure user interface intuitive and easy to use.  The UI seems to be the best part of Azure.  While that is important to me (and my colleagues), the costs, lack of evaluation time, and continued failing of Analysis Services has caused me to walk away.  Maybe in another couple years I will check back.  Good luck Microsoft.  I'm rooting for you.  But sadly, for now, I am just another frustrated prospective customer.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/brent-erbe-b1a94456

• Edited by Brent Erbe Sunday, November 6, 2016 3:43 AM
    Sunday, November 6, 2016 3:40 AM

Answers

• Brent,

Replied to the deployment issue Q in the other thread.

Regarding pricing, yes we are reviewing how best to "widen the funnel".

We have started with some relatively high-end tiers (or relatively very low-level developer one). This may seem expensive for someone migrating a single model from PBI for example. However, if compare to a VM with equivalent hardware/cores/memory with a dedicated SSAS Enterprise Edition installation (which we are targeting parity with by GA), then Azure AS is about the same price, or marginally cheaper. Couple that with reduced cost of ownership due to manageability benefits, speed of provisioning, without having to configure for hardware optimization (or requiring knowledge of how do it), automated scale up/down/pause … then I hope you can see the potential!

Feel free to vote up the user voice item here: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/556165-azure-analysis-services/suggestions/16821202-lower-pricing-tier-for-smaller-production-workload

Monday, November 7, 2016 8:13 PM

All replies

• Double check your pricing tier for the SQL database you created.  The pricing for my region US West starts at $4.99/month so you likely picked a higher tier of service (maybe premium 4 based on what you got billed for the first 24 hours).  Usually the community is pretty good at answering questions for common issues so I would suggest a dedicated Q for your Analysis Services deployment issue.
    Sunday, November 6, 2016 4:34 AM
  • Thanks.  Yes, I saw the $4.99/month option.  I chose the $30/mo option, just to have a bit more performance and space.  Still not sure how that equates to $100 in two days.

I created a separate thread for the Analysis Services issue.  I have still not been able to successfully deploy an Analysis Services server on Azure.

It's too bad... if 1) Azure Analysis Services would have simply worked and 2) I was only being charged a couple dollars a day... I would be all over this. 

Sunday, November 6, 2016 6:21 AM
  • Brent,

Replied to the deployment issue Q in the other thread.

Regarding pricing, yes we are reviewing how best to "widen the funnel".

We have started with some relatively high-end tiers (or relatively very low-level developer one). This may seem expensive for someone migrating a single model from PBI for example. However, if compare to a VM with equivalent hardware/cores/memory with a dedicated SSAS Enterprise Edition installation (which we are targeting parity with by GA), then Azure AS is about the same price, or marginally cheaper. Couple that with reduced cost of ownership due to manageability benefits, speed of provisioning, without having to configure for hardware optimization (or requiring knowledge of how do it), automated scale up/down/pause … then I hope you can see the potential!

Feel free to vote up the user voice item here: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/556165-azure-analysis-services/suggestions/16821202-lower-pricing-tier-for-smaller-production-workload

Monday, November 7, 2016 8:13 PM