Unable to debug Word addin project, required version of Microsoft Office is not Installed. RRS feed

• Question

• My Colleague wanted me to work on a solutions on TFS. When i connected i noticed that some of the projects would not load. From what we ascertained or theorized this could be due to conflicts with the version office, word or the various connected drivers or assemblies. So as a experiment i opened a new addin project in my vs 2012. It would build but i when tried to execute i got the above error. Ironically when i opened my word the addin was actually there but i cannot debug it?  Office 2013 installed. I did install office 2007 assemblies, made no difference so i removed them. 

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Exactly how is the VSTO template labelled that you used to create the new add-in? Did it say 2010 or 2013?

IF you have VS 2012 you have to download the templates for creating Office 2013 projects. Check the first Announcement at the top of the VSTO forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vsto

In order to debug a VSTO project you must have the same version of Office installed as was used to build the add-in, or you need to delete references to the older set of PIAs and create references to the set for the version of Office installed on your development machine. But if you do this there's a chance the add-in won't install/run for an earlier version of Office.

Please also note that only one version of Office (all components) may be installed on a developer machine.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by Jeffrey_Chen_ Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:34 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Only 2010 is available in the templates. Also on the project i have created the version of Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word is 14.0.0.0; i think it should be 15. I will check your link and see how that goes.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:04 PM
  • The link is not much help.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Try this page. There's a link for the download on it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive/2013/03/06/office-developer-tools-for-visual-studio-2012-now-available.aspx

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by Jeffrey_Chen_ Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:35 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:35 PM
  • you can always just change project properties to start external program and point to proper office app manually.
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:38 AM