none
Fake one-star reviews RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an application in the store and it has been available for months now (actually before the official Windows 8 release).

Each day it has been rated a couple of times and the ratings have been varied from 1-5 stars with an average around 3-4 stars.

This morning when I checked the status of the app, the average rating suddenly dropped significantly. I checked the different markets
    and overnight the app got 19 one-star reviews in the US market and no comments where attached to the reviews.

I find this very suspicious and think that there is some faul play going on.

Is there a way to see if these reviews are frauds?

Thanks in advance

Kim

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:48 AM

Answers

• That would be nice ehuna, but it seems infeasible to track, how would you know the apps are competing? Maybe if the volume is really large for a specific app from a specific IP address they could just stop taking ratings. I think right now, the average consumer just doesn't know how to rate/review our apps because they haven't figured out the charms bar (and all its glory...hehehe)...I would suggest putting a link in your app requesting ratings, this would make it easier for your real users to rate/review and offset any nefarious deeds
    • Proposed as answer by Raptor K Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Roberts_EModerator Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:40 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:09 AM

All replies

• There is no way to check if these reviews are frauds. What you can try is to report the reviews with the message that it contains spam. You can also click on every review that you don't find it usefull.

Besides those things I don't know what you can do about this problem.

Microsoft Student Partner - Netherlands

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:30 PM
  • I hope they ban the person that did it for life.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:16 AM
  • Wow that is horrible! It really sucks when developers who actually spend time on their apps get burned by the one-star bombers. There is so much garbage out there already why burn those that are actually producing decent app experiences.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:19 AM
  • It's even worst if the one-star bomber is a competitor - bringing you down so his app gets more downloads/sales.

Microsoft could anonymously track the reviewers IP addresses - if a one-star bomber is also a developer from an app in the same category, red flags should be raised!

Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:15 AM
  • That would be nice ehuna, but it seems infeasible to track, how would you know the apps are competing? Maybe if the volume is really large for a specific app from a specific IP address they could just stop taking ratings. I think right now, the average consumer just doesn't know how to rate/review our apps because they haven't figured out the charms bar (and all its glory...hehehe)...I would suggest putting a link in your app requesting ratings, this would make it easier for your real users to rate/review and offset any nefarious deeds
    • Proposed as answer by Raptor K Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Roberts_EModerator Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:40 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:09 AM
  • My suggestion to Microsoft. No comment rating ID should also be viewable by author, and there should be an average giving rate on user's ID.

Win8 Developer QQ Group 95331609

Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:46 AM