none
Saving Contact with an email address generates error: One or more of the properties requested for this item could not be retrieved. RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm using the EWS managed API 1.2 to push contact information from a database to Exchange 2010.

    One of our users has over 3,000 contacts being saved to his exchange mailbox.  If I process these contacts without including the email address, all contacts are loaded successfully with no errors being generated.   If I include the email address, after the 77th contact is loaded, I start seeing the error:"One or more of the properties requested for this item could not be retrieved."   The contacts associated with these errors appear to be OK when viewed from Outlook.

    Can anybody shed any light on the reason for this error?

    Thanks,

    Bill

    Monday, June 4, 2012 9:28 PM

All replies

  • On that 77th contact you have some type of data formating problem so while it may look okay its not. I would suggest you enabled tracing http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd633655%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx and have a look at what's being sent to the server. If that doesn't help post the traces and someone maybe able to help spot the error.

    Cheers
    Glen

    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:33 AM
  • This error seems to be the result of a corrupted mailbox or some kind of problem with a server-side cache.  When saving the same contacts to another mailbox no errors were generated.  Recreating or re-connecting the mailbox seems to have corrected the issue.

    Glen - Thanks for the quick response.  I had been looking at the traces previously.  When examining the XML requests, I did not see any obvious formatting issues.  However, due to your suggestion, I decided to verify whether or not formatting was the issue.  I took a contact that could be loaded error-free, and modified the email address by changing one character, for example, changing nsmith@companyname.com to gsmith@companyname.com.   With this single character change, the save would generate the error. 

    Further investigation revealed that only those 77 email addresses were being accepted.  I could change the order in which the contacts were being added, and only the "magic 77" were processed error-free.   Since the client system had been rebooted several times,  the persistence of the "magic 77" had to be on the server side.  That's how we came to try another mailbox.  Also, we disconnected the problem mailbox from the AD account and created a new one, and there were no problems adding the contacts to that.   We tried to do more testing with the "bad" mailbox by reconnecting it to the original AD account, but we found that the problem had gone away.

    I'm not really sure what I might have done to create the problem.  I'm new to EWS, so there were a lot of things I tried before I got it right.   At this point, I would not be able to recreate the sequence of events that would reproduce the problem.  Time to move on...


    • Edited by Bill Leddy Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:52 PM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:51 PM