none
Quick way to change the machine's region and language? RRS feed

• Question

• I often have to switch between English and other languages to test a .NET based Excel COM add-in. For example to select Spanish, I use Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Formats -> Format: Spanish (Spain) -> Apply. I then run my VS 2010 project which invokes Excel to load my add-in.

I have a shortcut to Region and Language but I still have to navigate through a hundred languages in the dropdown to switch between 3 or 4 different ones.

I was hoping I could use the Windows Language Bar but that seems to change the input language only.

Is there a quick way of switching between languages? Ideally, I'd like something in the system tray or something I could pin to the task bar that lets me switch between the 3 or 4 languages of my choice.

Thanks.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Ou8

this might not be the best forum to ask this question...

I don't know the answer, but I can certainly sympathize, as I work in two languages. The only tip I can give you is that the dropdown will jump to the letter you type into it. I often have to switch between English and Swiss German, so I usually type "T", then scroll up a couple of notches, for example.

Not ideal, but at least a little bit faster for you!

I can also tell you that these settings are stored in the Registry, in the HKCU\Control Panel\International, so perhaps you could write a small program to make the changes?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Friday, November 25, 2011 12:37 PM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:29 PM