none
This database is in an unrecognized format RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have never used MS Access before.

I'm trying to open a accdb (created in MS Access 2007) file in MS Access 2010 and i get this error "This database is in an unrecognized format".

Is there a workaround this?

Here are a few things i tried:

I installed MS Access 2007 Runtime and still got the same error. I uninstalled MS Access 2007 after.

I copied the file from shared drive to my own drive (since i read a few places that i can cause issues).

The file has a lock symbol on it, i wonder if that has something to do with this.

Thanks

Shreyank

Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hi. This may not matter, but I am just curious. What is the file extension of the database file your trying to open? I have a feeling that you're trying to open a compiled version of the database. If so, can you get a copy of the master file?
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:51 PM
  • >>>I installed MS Access 2007 Runtime and still got the same error. I uninstalled MS Access 2007 after.

As mentioned by the DB guy, you would get this Error message: "This database is in an unrecognized format" when you try to open a compiled database file or a compiled project file in Access 2007.

This problem occurs if the compiled database file or the compiled project file was created on a computer that has the 2007 Microsoft Office suites Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed.

This problem occurs when you try to open the file that you created, and the following conditions are true:

•You try to open the file on a computer that has the original version of Access 2007 installed.

•The 2007 Office suites Service Pack 1 is not installed on the computer.

If the file extension of the database file is .accdb, I think you could try to Compact and repair a database:

https://support.office.com/en-in/article/Compact-and-repair-a-database-6ee60f16-aed0-40ac-bf22-85fa9f4005b2

Friday, August 21, 2015 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi. This may not matter, but I am just curious. What is the file extension of the database file your trying to open? I have a feeling that you're trying to open a compiled version of the database. If so, can you get a copy of the master file?
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:51 PM
  • >>>I installed MS Access 2007 Runtime and still got the same error. I uninstalled MS Access 2007 after.

As mentioned by the DB guy, you would get this Error message: "This database is in an unrecognized format" when you try to open a compiled database file or a compiled project file in Access 2007.

This problem occurs if the compiled database file or the compiled project file was created on a computer that has the 2007 Microsoft Office suites Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed.

This problem occurs when you try to open the file that you created, and the following conditions are true:

•You try to open the file on a computer that has the original version of Access 2007 installed.

•The 2007 Office suites Service Pack 1 is not installed on the computer.

If the file extension of the database file is .accdb, I think you could try to Compact and repair a database:

https://support.office.com/en-in/article/Compact-and-repair-a-database-6ee60f16-aed0-40ac-bf22-85fa9f4005b2

Friday, August 21, 2015 8:58 AM