adding rtf file to resources RRS feed

• Question

• I created a rtf file in word. I went to project | Properties | Resources and added the file to resources. When I click on the file in solution explorer, the file is converted to  a whole page of unformatted garbage like

{\rtf1\adeflang1025\ansi\ansicpg1252\ What am I doing wrong?

patrick meley
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:18 PM

Answers

• That is not unformatted garbage--that is the actual content of an rtf file. Since it is a code editor, it assumes you want to see the "code" of an rtf file, not the rendered rtf file, just as it shows you the source of an html file rather then a rendered web page.

Thankfully it is easy to tell Visual Studio to actually open the rtf file in another program like MS Word or WordPad. In the resources window, right-click on the rtf file icon and select "Open With...". You'll see a list of availalbe programs. If you want to add another (like WordPad for simple rtf editing), click "Add". To set the default program for the file type click "Set as Default".

jmh
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:40 PM

All replies

• That is not unformatted garbage--that is the actual content of an rtf file. Since it is a code editor, it assumes you want to see the "code" of an rtf file, not the rendered rtf file, just as it shows you the source of an html file rather then a rendered web page.

Thankfully it is easy to tell Visual Studio to actually open the rtf file in another program like MS Word or WordPad. In the resources window, right-click on the rtf file icon and select "Open With...". You'll see a list of availalbe programs. If you want to add another (like WordPad for simple rtf editing), click "Add". To set the default program for the file type click "Set as Default".

jmh
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Thank you
    patrick meley
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:36 PM